How do you all do it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you all do it

Folks, I've got to know - how is it that ever bike I see on this web site looks like it just rolled off a showroom floor.

I currently own 2 xj's that have 102k and 60k on them, neither of which looks anything like the bikes on this site. I am a passonate rider that puts approx 10k on every season (as short as they are in Winnipeg).

They are stored in a toolshed (winterized as recommeded) but it would seem I have little time in between to work on them.

Questions = what are your secrets?? Do you not ride your bikes?? Do you have heated garages to work on them during your off season (if you even have an off season)?

You folks are incredable = I truely aspire to have at least one of my machines in pristine condition - someday.

Ed:
    "ride to be visible but pretend you're invisible"
    84xj1100
    82xj1100

Don't feel alone. The nice thing about digital photos is the touch up.
    Most of us ride the bikes, and they look good, but they are dirty or in need of some little repairs.
    My winter project will be nice looking, by the end of NEXT winter, with luck.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Ed,

The equation is simple.

(7 months + $3K) = frame up resto!

Comment

some of us are just too embarassed to post pics!
        Travis Miller
        1978 E

Comment

Digital Photos

You look at your bike with a much more critical eye then you would ever look at someone else's bike. All those little scratches and imperfections on your machine can't be seen on the photos posted and on yours you know where every one of them is. They bother you so your eye goes there first. That's the beauty of having a machine you like, you can always find something to improve on or correct. As much as I like riding mine I enjoy working on it just as much. Its therapy for the soul.
          wingnut
          81 SH (Daily Ride)
          81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
          81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
          82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
          81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Its simple, 12 pack MGD, full tube of simichrome, full can of mothers and about 2 hours work every weekend . Actually I was lucky and got my bike from the PO in excellent condition. I am anal about clean bikes and cars and actually enjoy the cleaning process. Nothing I hate more than pulling out for a ride on my just cleaned and polished XS and finding water running across the street, have been known to divert 2-3 blocks to miss it. (I get upset when the top surfaces of my boat gets wet, go figure!!)Some of the bikes here have had frame up restros and look better than they did when they left Japan. Having room in the garage to park em helps alot to. I ride all year long, keep it covered if it has to sit outside all day and avoid the rain if I can. My rig is far from perfect, but people are amazed to find out its over 25 years old. Keeping it clean and shiny is truly a labor of love.
            When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Don't believe Webbcraft!

I have seen his bike, and it is a piece of...Beauty! Very well kept, and nice paint. Runs good too. I thought mine looked good, at the time, but his was much nicer. If you want to detail yours, just do it one piece at a time. It doesn't have to be done all at one time. Ya gotta ride it sometime.

Comment

I used to be VERY detail oriented with my Honda Hawk. I bought it new and kept it that way. I polished and waxed every inch of that bike. My detail clean and polish took 3 days. This was also my daily ransportation. I used to polish and wax the underside of the gas tank, inside any areas of the frame I could reach (the Hawk has a stamped steel frame, the engine is a stressed member of the frame). Detailing involved removing the engine which took about 20 minutes and another 20 minutes to reinstall. Of course I was single at the time.

I'm amazed how much better my bikes look in photos compared to standing there looking at them. I'm working on it.
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

.. that time that normal people spend watching TV after dinner is the time i use to mess around with the bikes. also if i didnt have a garage i would bring a bike into the house, make room in the living room or kitchen to work on it- i have had understanding women over the years, if they didnt understand then they would either get over it or leave

Comment

Enough of the frame of these bikes is exposed that its condition is one of those little details that makes a huge difference in the way it looks. When the day comes that I have the money, I will tear it down to the frame AGAIN and have it powder coated. Like Randy said, "Frame up."
                    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

one reason we do it up in the northeast
                      is the big layover during the winter
                      too cold to ride so tear it down and paint and polish
                      http://home.securespeed.us/~xswilly/
                      78E main ride, since birth the "good"
                      78E Parts, the "bad" fixing up now
                      78E Parts the "ugly" maybe next year
                      79F Parts
                      80G Parts
                      75 DT 400B enduro

Comment

Originally posted by Parr8hed
                        some of us are just too embarassed to post pics!
                        Can I get an AMEN?
                        Yamaniac
                        '79 xs11 sf - WidowMaker, 750 final drive
                        '80 xs1100 sg- ENEMY#1 parts bike no title(free)
                        '79 f- frame and swingarm (and title)
                        '82 yz 490- needs a cylinder, head, & new piston, etc. Got one for sale?
                        '88 Honda cbr600- Running, finally! Training bike for swmbo, maybe a stunt bike for me eventually.

Comment

Working...
                        X