drive shaft joint grease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drive shaft joint grease?

What kind of grease do you guys use in your drive shaft joint? My book calls for Molybedenum Disulfide grease in the joint, but I could not find that type at my local Wal Mart. Haven't been to the parts store yet, but I was wondering if I actually need that specific type of grease in there.

I use whatever automotive wheel bearing grease I have around the house. Never paid that close attention. No problems yet.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Robywan,

Do you mean the U-Joint? Last time I had it apart i lubed it with Yamalube, no troubles yet!

Comment

Randy

I think he's refering to where the drive shaft engages the rear drive, That should be greased every now and then. (Or so they say) I have never lubed mine, and haven't had any problems with it. Now watch. It'll mess up the next time I ride it.

Comment

Yeah, on the top of the housing where the rear of the shaft housing is bolted to the rear spline housing. , there is a grease fitting. My book says to grease it once a year.

Comment

I use Mobil 1 or Red Line synthetic grease on all my machines. It's red, has a higher drop point than high temp, and holds well in a wet enviroment.
            John, You had better grease the splines on the rear drive!! there have been threads here about what happens if you don't! I pull the 4 nuts, and grease the spline at every rear tire change. The grease fitting WILL NOT get grease into the spline.
            Ray
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Using that grease fitting does no good at all.
              Whenever I remove my rear wheel (fortunately that's not too often) like when replacing the rear tire or detail cleaning I unbolt the rear drive and grease my shaft by hand (STOP thinking that!).
              This insures the greas goes where it's supposed to rather than hoping it falls on the splines (only to be flung-off when the bike is going). Only takes an XStra 5 minutes.
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

DiverRay is right on the money on this one, that grease fitting is good for nothing. Differential has to be removed to grease the splines.

Comment

Allow me to chime in here, too. I just finished replacing my driveshaft and final drive (thanks again, Andreas!) because there was NO grease inside the final drive where the driveshaft goes in. You would not believe the amount of powder that came out of there from the splines wearing because of no lubrication. Do yourself a big favor...take the extra 5 minutes that it takes to pull the final drive off and PACK PLENTY OF BEARING GREASE IN THERE!!! Don't lose the spring!
                  SDMike
                  Hi...my name is Mike, and I'm a lane-splitter.
                  '80 XS1100SG (mine)
                  '87 CMX450C Rebel (daughter's first bike)

Comment

I second the greasing of the rear shaft connector asap. I guessed wrong that the factory would put some grease on the gear teeth.After 20000 miles of not doing it, ever, I was changing out the rear tire and checked the grease in there,,,,nada, not even a thin coat from the factory. All of you xs, xj'rs should grease the rear shaft teeth asap or else, no gear teeth will be left Also runs much smoother with grease in there, wonder why....
                    Good luck, Mike in san diego, xj1100:
                    mike
                    1982 xj1100 maxim
                    1981 venture bagger
                    1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                    1959 wife

Comment

Quote from Yamaha manual
                      Note "When installing the drive shaft, lubricate splines with molybdenum disulfied grease." Page 5-20 i open it up and pack the black nasty stuff in with a putty knife. They are correct when they say the grease zert it not worth the trouble it took to install it in the first place. Besides I don't think a standard American gun fits it IRRC. It's been working good for me. 55,300 miles
                      Last edited by pathfinder; 03-02-2006, 05:13 PM.
                      There's always a way, figure it out.
                      78XS11E

Comment

I must be charmed

In all the years I've owned my bike, since Dec, 91. I have only lubed it a couple of times. It had 26 k miles on it the first time, and I don't even remember when I did it the second time . I never gave it anymore thought. A sealed area, not exposed to any thing, I figured the lube would always be there. I guess I had better take a look at it sometime soon.

Comment

Belray
                          "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Working...
                          X