• Show
Clear All

• "How the mighty have fallen"

I've always read with bemusement...
    "Help, I've broken off the points of my pilot needle."
    "Help... how do I remove broken pilot jet needles?"
    "My pilot needle is "needling' me."
    What a bunch of boobs!

"And now... Ladies and Gentleman... children of all ages... I present for your pleasure.... Mr. Boob, himself!"

Guess what I did today for the first time? (well, actually not for the first time, as I actually snapped two of the damned things!)

The only thing worse than being an idiot, is then telling everyone about it! I laughed till I cried. The pushpin tip did one of them... the other, I shall have to be more creative with.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

A screwdriver and a hammer did it for me. By that point I didn't care anymore bout the carbs, I was so pissed. I just whacked at the bloody things. Carbs still work, but setting the new needles takes a bit longer.

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Hey Prom

Try placing a 9/16 inch or so socket on an extension, and stick it in the carb body and set the side of the socket over the protruding tip and tap on the side to the extension to drive it back into its bore that way. It worked for me a couple of times, but I did have to drill one out by hand. I used a #60 drill bit in a pin vice and slowly worked the drill into the broken tip , and was able to get all of the tip out of the bore.

Comment

"Broken Tip tip"

Funny thing... the tip wasn't protruding. And actually, on the other ones that I didn't break, the tip BARELY stuck out at all. I'm in the bizarre habit of, when screwing in the needles, to stick me finger in the carb to feel the tip poke through. I didn't feel no tip, so just kept on turnin'. Not used to the tapered needles, all me udder carbs have the stepped design. Anyway... crisis over... got the last broken tip out.
        Another lesson learned.... till I forget it again!

Comment

So Pro... when you dole out the knowledge to us, is it the classic case of "Do as I say... not as i do!??" Kind of like when you point at your son with a beer in your hand and try to tell him how bad drinking is?

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

No... it's more like, "Gee... I hope they never find out that I don't know what I'm talking about."
            Kinda scarey. Like when I had me appendix yanked out. Had to sign all these waivers... stating that I knew that "medicine wasn't an exact science, etc". (that doesn't promote confidence)
            Sometimes professionals (not that I consider myself one) do screw up. I just wish that it was on a customer's carbs, not the ones that I bead blasted, polished and clearcoated!
            That's why we don't allow customers in the shop. Not "confidence promoting" to have them watching me... holding a cup of coffee with one hand and scratching my head with the other.

Comment

Just reminds me of the same sad story meself did! Also saw a jig that a guy made that threads into the hole and has a small drill bit centered in the insert that drills the center of the brass needle tip and presto you can push whats left out! Okay two things. First of all I have (4) carb bodies with the brass needles broke off in. How many do the rest of you have? Secondly why could't one of you realllllllly talented machinist type guys make up a tool to do this? I've got some blunt ended needles you could use!!??
              DEW
              One Red "Creation 1"
              One Black"Creation 2"
              One Black"Creation 3"
              One ???? "Creation 4"
              One ???? "Creation 5"
              One ???? "Parts Bike"
              All the above 1100 Specials
              78 Standard (Ruf Ruf)
              1980 Midnight Special
              1978 650 SE

Comment