X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• losing daylight help!

Hey guys
    Changing Seals and boots and am stuck
    Read about the fork tool on the site first though in my Clymer manual, it just said remove the allen head screw at the bottom of the fork and didn't mention any special tool needed. Now I've got my 1978 XS1100E's forks in my living room and that allen bolt seems to keep turning without loosening anything. I assume I need this long bolt then, huh? Or the allen will keep spinning? And if so, where do you find a bolt that size on a Sunday in Los Angeles? Thanks for any help.

Patrick
    Last edited by XS11Hollywood; 02-26-2006, 05:04 PM.
    I've had over 25 bikes in my life. Nothing compares to my 1978 XS1100E......

Check out this thread for a home-built solution using a bolt, a couple of nuts, and a socket wrench with a few long extensions.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Thanks

Hey I used one 16 in extention and the bolt trick.. it worked!

Thanks XS11.com

Comment

Thanks Ken

Got the nuts and bolts and got it done....
        Sincerely,
        Patrick

Comment

"Is it Spring, yet?"

Stand the fork upside down and compress it while trying to unloosen the bolt. This compresses the spring, and makes it harder for the innards to spin with the bolt. (Even using my "Zap Gun at work, sometimes I still need to put pressure on the spring to get the bolt to break free from the inner damper thingie) This is why I never use Locktite or sealer when reassembling forks.
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I had the same problem when I rebuilt my '80G's forks. I whittled a taper on a broomstick (I read that somewhere on this site) and used it to jamb into the inside of the internals to hold the insides while I unscrewed the allen on the outside. It took some doing (and swearing) but it eventully broke free.

Once I got the first one apart I made a tool out of 19mm bolts and nuts to reach inside the tube and hold the innards while I unscrewed the allen bolt. A little heat applied to the end ( to soften any locktite) helps too, but just a little heat.

Good luck.
            Missing Link
            Keep the Shinny Side UP!!

Comment

Thanks for all the help!

4 different places...auto zone, pepboys, sears, and then osh.... got the bolt and nuts....

Thanks for all the help...

All clean.... new seals and boots I
              used honda pro suspension fluid 10w

The forks seem to be stiff, Is that normal?
              I'm sure that I put them together properly...

I tried all 3 preload adjustments...
              Lowest is kinda too low though still off

High is way too much...

I don't have a fairing...

Maybe the seals loosen a little?
              Last edited by XS11Hollywood; 02-27-2006, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X