Machine shop in Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machine shop in Michigan

I was thinking of doing the 1179 bore kit sometime this year and looking for a machine shop in the area. I have been asking around for a good shop but I have had not spoken to anyone with first hand experience with one. I am in the Metro Detroit area, and any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Before I go all out with this project, I would also like to know how hard this project would be. I have been able to do most of the work on my own on this bike and am looking forward to the challenge, but am I outclassed with this? I was planning on doing the actual rebuild myself and just getting the cylinders done professionally.
    1984 XJ1100 - 79 cams, XS850 FD, XS triple tree/euro cafe bars, hydraulic clutch, bar end mirrors, yamaha R1 rear mono-shock
    1972 CL350 - clubmans, Mike's XS coils/condenser, '98 Yamaha R1 rearsets (If I can find some at a decent price)

If you have been able to clean the carbs, you can probably do the rebuild. The only "hard" part is getting the cam chain to go where it's needed. for the most part, it's just unbolt, clean, bolt back together.
    I plan on rebuilding one of my engines soon, just have to wait for the beast to be repaired, AGAIN
    I'm going through a "bad" rebuilt engine, and the company isn't going to stand behind it!!
    Don't EVER buy anything from a NY company called International Diesel LTD. They are a rip-off if you are a "small" entity.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks, that is good to know. With the info I have scavanged from this site, I have been able to repair my brakes, replace clutch and I have been playing with different cams, mainly the 78/79 xs cams. I have been looking to have more fun with this bike and I think the bigger bore will go a long way. I have been pricing flat slides as well as looking into a pieced together turbo setup, but I think I still need alot more research on these.

Thanks for the warning, I am always nervous doing business from a place I have never heard of and I think that is why. Good luck with your engine!
      1984 XJ1100 - 79 cams, XS850 FD, XS triple tree/euro cafe bars, hydraulic clutch, bar end mirrors, yamaha R1 rear mono-shock
      1972 CL350 - clubmans, Mike's XS coils/condenser, '98 Yamaha R1 rearsets (If I can find some at a decent price)

Comment

OI think the baset way to find a machine shop that will do the work is to locate an independent bike repair shop, and ask somebody there who they use or would recommend. That is what I did when I did my big bore. I got a deal on the Wiesco kit, $350, and the machine work was $160. A new clutch and springs was $100, and I had the first and secind gears under cut. I did n't want all that newfound horsepower just bouncing around inside the crankcase.

Comment

Looking for Mr. Good Bore?

Hey Rubin,

I had about 50K on mine, but I had let it sit outside for several years unprotected and it got severely rusted inside the cylinders. SO....I got the Big Bore kit, and worked on mine repairing the Tranny(reason why I had parked it 9 years earlier) along with doing the topend! I didn't tear it down to the crank, cause it had not had any problems with the bottom end prior to parking it! I pulled the jugs, got them bored, but I did ALL of the mechanic work myself, with a manual, some previous car engine rebuilding experience, and help from the THEN Yahoo XS11 group.

I also did the valves and seals on the head myself, did an OOPS and bent a couple of valves (DAMHIDI ) but otherwise got it back together just fine, have driven many thousands of miles since. Just follow the manual guidelines, and also review here for other tips and techniques if you aren't sure about how to do something, and you'll do just fine.

I found a motorcycle machine shop....they actually build racing motorcycles, to perform my bore job, was referred to them by dealer!!

Do you plan on splitting the cases and redoing the crank and connecting rod bearings?
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by John
            OI think the baset way to find a machine shop that will do the work is to locate an independent bike repair shop, and ask somebody there who they use or would recommend. That is what I did when I did my big bore. I got a deal on the Wiesco kit, $350, and the machine work was $160. A new clutch and springs was $100, and I had the first and secind gears under cut. I did n't want all that newfound horsepower just bouncing around inside the crankcase.
            If any of you are wondering, or care, no, I am not taking my pain medication again. I was in a bit of a rush to leave to pick up my son from school early and take him to have some tests done, so I didn't have time to clean up my typos. I won't be graded on that, will I?

Comment

All Kidding Intended!

Hey John,

Naw, I won't kid you about your spelling but I will zing you on your comment!
              I did n't want all that newfound horsepower just bouncing around inside the crankcase.
              That's true Rubin, he prefers to have all that power banging around on the OUTSIDE of his bike, like against a truck, curb, driveway!!!

Perhaps you should take your pills!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Actually, the accident was just a ruse to get WK to let me do another partial restoration on it, to get 1/5 of my spine fused together, AND skip six months of work, and burn up all of my sick time. It's too hot to ride in June down here anyway, so I figured I'll just lay in bed for the summer and enjoy the air conditioning. If ya believe that, I gotta bridge I wanna sell ya...

Comment

Ah Ha!

The truth comes out... and to think... I waited on him hand and foot as well as other parts!

The FJ sat in pieces through 3.. count them... 3... XS rebuilds...
                  including a big bore kit.

Rubin... just a suggestion... but if your SO rides... make certain their bike is in great condition before you start any other projects on yours... especially if they read anything in this forum.
                  81 SH Something Special
                  81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                  81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                  80 LG Black Magic
                  78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                  For those on FB

Comment

Thanks for the tips! I only plan on tearing down the top end, no need to go any farther and I do not want this project to last all summer. No need to do the kit either, but the call of a 1179 on this bike is too much to ignore. I think I will call around for some shops recommended by dealers. There are plenty of custom shops but every one is a harley shop that I have seen.

The valves and seals are what I am a little nervous about, I do not want to ruin what has been a very reliable bike. Unfortunately this is the only bike in the stable so if I really screw something up, I will be forced to drive my car . I will post pics if I manage to gather the courage to do this. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Rubin
                      Thanks for the tips! I only plan on tearing down the top end, no need to go any farther and I do not want this project to last all summer. No need to do the kit either, but the call of a 1179 on this bike is too much to ignore. I think I will call around for some shops recommended by dealers. There are plenty of custom shops but every one is a harley shop that I have seen.

The valves and seals are what I am a little nervous about, I do not want to ruin what has been a very reliable bike. Unfortunately this is the only bike in the stable so if I really screw something up, I will be forced to drive my car . I will post pics if I manage to gather the courage to do this. Cheers!
                      Rubin, Rubin.. now just where the heck did you come from? I thought I was the only one here from Windsor and here you are!!

Check with Iggy or Hilliard at Power Cycle for a good machine shop locally. Between the 2 of them, they've forgotten more then any one else in the city. There just isn't another shop that's worth a crap in Windsor.

Valve seals are not a problem to change. I did mine, and didn't buy the fancy spring compressor that the manual calls for. Drop me an email and I can loan you what I used.

Brian
                      Brian
                      1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
                      1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
                      remembering the same thing!

Comment

Working...
                      X