electrical guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electrical guys

I bought this flasher from Superbrightleds.com while purchasing the bulbs. When I plug it in one way, I get nothing, the other will light the selected blinker but no flashing? The Leds are hooked to a frame ground. Is this the problem?

'81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Not sure but I've had LED's that the polarity had to be correct to work.
    "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

I thought all leds had to have the polarity right to work?
      '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Yes, all LED's have to have the polarity right. It looks like the big mounting tab on the flasher may have to be grounded, is it?

Bob
        #1 ’79 XS11 Special
        #2 ’79 XS11 Special
        '97 V-Max
        '01 Dyna T-Sport

Comment

The mounting tab just clips into the plastic housing, no ground.
          '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Even with the flasher from the LED guys, you may still need a resistor in line.
            I have an array of 46 LEDs for my brake/tail light. I wanted to add a brake light modulator but it wouldn't work. Company said I needed a 490 ohm resistor in-line from the output to the ground. I put it on wife's Virago and it works fine. Flash-flash-flash-steadyyyyyyy-flash-flash-flash-steadyyyyyyy. Quite noticeable.
            I have the array on the E (needs the red lens or I would blind anyone behind me, it's that bright) and 2 strips of 18 LEDs on the trunk that are tail/brake. Rear turnsignal lamps are converted to running lights also. No valid XScuse for not seeing be from behind.
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

the electronics in the flasher could be bad

i had the same problem with a different brand. the flasher has to be grounded first and the polarity has to be there. the circuit inside electronically flashes the leds because there is no load. the resistors are dangerous because they get very hot and can even catch fire.google it if you think otherwise...chop
              MDRNF
              79F.....Not Stock
              80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Just look at the diagram on the flasher.
                It shows + (49) and - (49a).
                + is to be connected to the main switch and - to the flasher switch on the handle bar. From the flasher switch to the LED's, parallel front and rear and control light.
                The LED's have to be grounded, just like the standart indicators. If you have grounded the wrong wire from the LED's you will get nothing. If the LED's do not flash it is either the flasher itself or the load is too small.
                I got LED's on my 650 with a standard electronic flasher unit. The load from the control lights is enough to get it flashing.
                XS1100 and XS650- what do you need more?

Comment

Working...
                X