Fork tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork tubes

Does anyone know if fork tubes from standard fit into special lowers?

You can find the answer to most questions by doing a Search, above.

Searching the forum for "Fork tubes"
    found this post:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ght=fork+tubes

which seems to indicate that fork tubes are different between Specials and Standards.

Also, you can find XS parts numbers on this site, and compare them between models.

http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/index.php

Again, there's a previous post that explains part numbers, and the difference between years and models.
    Rick
    '80 SG
    '88 FXR
    '66 Spitfire MK II

Comment

I know Denny Z used Special (longer) fork tubes on Standard (shorter) lowers. He kept the ride height the same by XStending the XS fork tube above the top triple tree. He then attached "clip-on" handlebars to this section above the top triple tree.
      So, I've not measured but I think the fork tubes are the same diameter, just the length is different (by a couple of inches).
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I know that the fork seals are different, if you are contemplating mix-n-match.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I know the part #'s are different. My special has rusted tubes and I got a great deal on a set os standard forks that are in great shape. I thought the seals were different because of a difference in the lower legs. I thought someone might have tried this exchange before. If it is just a matter of length, I can deal with that as long as they will fit in.

Comment

Hope you dont' get FORKED!

Hey there Shotgun,

The forks are the same 37mm diameter, but the special uses longer upper tubes due to different higher mounting location of the front axle, so more tube is needed to fit down further into the Special's lowers and have the frame sit at the same height!

Also, the Special lowers uses a different dampener tube, and fits with a rebound spring and washer vs. the Standards just having a spring! You'll want to use the Specials lower parts.

If you were wanting to lower your bike, this WILL do it! You won't want to use the Entire fork and lowers of the Standard, because the fender won't fit right, and I think the axle fits differently also!? Good Luck!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
            X