xs1100 special front brake pad taper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs1100 special front brake pad taper

I recently pulled the front wheel out to get a new tire mounted. Once the wheel was out I was checking my front pads and noticed that all the front pads are wedge shaped which struck me as odd.

After reading the forums it seems that they are indeed supposed to be that shape. One thing I am still not sure on is how to know when they are worn and need replacement. Obviously the wear line is much smaller on the pointy part of the wedge then at the base of the wedge. Which wear indicator should I be looking at and how far down should I let the wear indicator go before replacing the pads?

Just for anyone who is curious here is a picture of one of my front brake pad sets:
    '80 XS Special
    JonathanKnez@hotmail.com

.. those pads look brand new, it will take you 15 years to wear that set out

Comment

The groove across the face of the pad is your wear indicator. You need to replace the pads when the groove is just gone at the skinny end. This pad still has a bit of life left in it, but I don't think I'll bother putting it back in just to get a few more miles. I once heard the guy at the boneyard comparing this to putting back on your used underwear....

Ken Talbot

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. It looks like I dont need to worry about replacing these any time soon.
        '80 XS Special
        JonathanKnez@hotmail.com

Comment

myself, I 'ATE them

or at least I am bewildered.
          When I bought my XS11SG amongst the other problems was that the brakes were seized on.
          Tore down the front calipers to see the pads were all tapered.
          Panicked off to buy two new sets.
          Got home, opened the packets and they are built like that!
          They are ATE calipers, I'm told.
          I suppose they have to be that way because the calipers swivel instead of slide but what total dingbat dreamed up such a strange system?
          Fred Hill, S'toon.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Swivel calipers, tapered pads?

Supposedly a clever ploy by Yamaha engineers to eliminate brake squeal, Fred. Guess it works, mine haven't squealed yet. My 650s always squeak when cold, once I use them a few times it stops. I never considered it a problem but I guess engineers have to justify their paychecks by answering questions that nobody asked.
            Shiny side up,
            650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
            XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Dumb & dumber

Hi Mike,
              When I bought my XS11SG I'd never even heard of ATE calipers and was unaware of their tapered pads. Had I known I would still have bought the thing because of it's awesome power and accepted the dafty brakes as another idiosyncracy. (I didn't know the engine ran backwards neither)
              OK, the ATE calipers seem to stop the bike effectively and I haven't heard mine squeal either.
              But the way I see it:-
              1) Those tapered pads only wear at the thick edges which means that only the thick edges are working which means they are designed wrong.
              Or
              2) They have half their working surfaces ground away from new which means that half the pad life is also gone which means they are designed wrong.
              Fred Hill, S'toon.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Front brakes on my LG squeal
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Kelly
                  Front brakes on my LG squeal
                  Only when cold or all the time?
                  Shiny side up,
                  650 Mike

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Squeal?

I eliminated squeal on a car once just by removing pads and thoroughly cleaning out all the brake dust and crud. Reassembled and voila, no squeal.

Another cause of squeal can be the pad material itself. A long time ago I had a bike (drum brakes) which would squeal when cold after I installed hard "competition" linings on the shoes. They didn't work well when cold either but once the brakes were a bit hot they worked very well and didn't squeal either. As I mentioned before my 650s' front brakes squeal when cold, the front brakes are also a bit grabby when cold. Dropped a bike once when the front grabbed on on some dirt.
                    Shiny side up,
                    650 Mike

Comment

Re: myself, I 'ATE them

They are ATE calipers, I'm told.
                      Excuse my french, but you were told B.S.
                      ATE is a german company that's making brakes and stuff. But they never ever supplied calipers to Yamaha.
                      Maybe it's because BMW had swivveling calipers once and those were ATE made.
                      XS1100 and XS650- what do you need more?

Comment

dumber &amp; dumberer

Hi Olli,
                        OK then, "ATE style" calipers.
                        Which makes BMW foolish for fitting the weird swivelly tapered-pad things and Yamaha even more foolish for copying them.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

The pads on my LG only squeal when I apply them . Dosen't matter if they're cold or warm.
                          Not a problem tho, I used to be a front-end and brake mechanic (auto) for many, many years. They will be silenced when I get around to taking care of it. I have yet to have brakes squeal that I've replaced.
                          Pat Kelly
                          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Working...
                          X