No announcement yet.

Auxiliary Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I rode from Oklahoma to Reno, NV (1700 miles) with a 3 gallon tank on the kuggage rack. I crossed several mountain ranges in Colorado, Utah amd Nevada. More twisties than you could shake a stick at.

I never really had much problem at speed. It really handled well as a matter of fact somewhere outside of Ely, NV going through a mountain pass I scraped a peg! I was fully loaded with fuel and all my gear. Zilla was handling flawlessly in the curves.

However at slow speeds in town and on parking lots it definitely felt a little top heavy turning but you get the hang of it.

Comment

Originally posted by MAXIMAN
      Well I rode from Oklahoma to Reno, NV (1700 miles) with a 3 gallon tank on the kuggage rack. I crossed several mountain ranges in Colorado, Utah amd Nevada. More twisties than you could shake a stick at.

I never really had much problem at speed. It really handled well as a matter of fact somewhere outside of Ely, NV going through a mountain pass I scraped a peg! I was fully loaded with fuel and all my gear. Zilla was handling flawlessly in the curves.

However at slow speeds in town and on parking lots it definitely felt a little top heavy turning but you get the hang of it.
      I think your tank is about as elegant a solution as I've seen. Being basically a 650 rider I think the XS11 is kinda top heavy to start with and a little more wouldn't matter much anyway. I don't even notice much difference when SWMBO is on the back, but then I've toured with passenger and camping gear on a CL350 Honda.
      Shiny side up,
      650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
      XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

XS11 is defintiely more top heavy than the XJ. They lowered the CG on the Maxim.

But with the aux tank it definitely raises it back up.

Comment

Hi Guys,
          Couldn't help overhearing your concerns regarding fuel capacity. Just for the record, a '79 Special looks great with a 23 litre tank on it. I've since done the full dress tourer thing with a BMW fairing and Panniers and a topbox with trailer to boot. It tamed it a bit with all the hardware but it's the ducks nuts for long distance touring in the outback. I tried putting a pic inm the message but for some reason, it won't take it so I'll send some pics to your email off-forum
          Ride safe fellas.
          Errol.
          79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
          Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
          *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
          *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Working...
          X