No announcement yet.

looking at a XS1100 midnite, might buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ended up not getting it. When I finally heard it run, it missed, backfired out the carbs, had a horrible hessitation, was burning oil and had a starting problem. Wasn't worth the work.

Comment

Wrong a midnight is always worth the work .
      Madbiker

Comment

Originally posted by gasisontheright
        I When I finally heard it run, it missed, backfired out the carbs, had a horrible hessitation, was burning oil and had a starting problem.
        Carbs were dirty and out-of-sync, might have had a broken pick-up coil wire, valve stem seals were a little dry from sitting, and battery was old. All easy to fix, and a great opportunity for beating down the asking price! My Midnight was much like that when I got it, plus it had a cracked rotor. I echo madbiker on this one - Midnights are always worth a bit of work..
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by gasisontheright
          I ended up not getting it. When I finally heard it run, it missed, backfired out the carbs, had a horrible hessitation, was burning oil and had a starting problem. Wasn't worth the work.
          So what is he doing with it now? advertising it locally? Someone else on here may be interested. (don't tell my wife I'm asking)
          "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
          1981 LH

Comment

echo

Hey gasisontheright,
            You should make him an offer YOU can't refuse.
            Chances are he won’t sell it dirt cheep, but it happens.

Picked up 80MNS little while ago ($100.00). Missing so many parts that I was going to use it for parts. Few months latter, now have got about 90 percent missing parts(got lucky $150.00). Just received two cam chains (one for the 80G, and one for the MNS( $29.00ea). (had to remove MNS's head to see why engine wouldn't make a complete rotation)

Total investment in the MNS so far $279.00
            (got a feeling that when I get her running the real expense will be maken her pretty agin)

Would not have even considered the MNS project had it not been for this site. Got the 80G in trade last year, and got it running pretty good on my own. After I found this site it runs much better.

mro

Comment

I just sold my Midnight last fall. It was ownly the 2nd bike I ever rode. She had my heart for 11yrs , but when I got a Royal Star I could not let her set . So I sold her and every time i get the bike out i still look for her to be sitting in the garage where she was Queen she had a broken speedo on her ,but I think she between 50 & 65,000 on her and was still going strong . I took her from a naked sp. too a full dresser with very little chrome on her even won a local bike show with her .Selling her was a hard choice to make .
              Madbiker

Comment

If I didn't have 3 other motorcycles in different stages of getting back road-ready I would have gotten it, but I wanted a bike I oculd jump on and ad gas and oil, this bike definetly isn't so. I wouldn't give out the guys number withouth is permission, but if theres anybody local I can get ahold of him for you and pass on your number to him.

Comment

Working...
                X