Flushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flushing

Okay...Andreas, the money is on its way up to you for the final drive & shaft. Thanks for hooking a fellow rider up like that! DiverRay, thanks for the input on lubricants. I get the impression that most of the members are fans of the synthetics. Since I don't know what type of lubrication the PO used, I want to drain everything and start new. Is it going to cause any problems if I use synthetics where they were not used before? Do I need to flush these areas out first, and if so, how? I've gone through the tech tips, and can't find any info on this subject. Thanks for the help, folks.
    Hi...my name is Mike, and I'm a lane-splitter.
    '80 XS1100SG (mine)
    '87 CMX450C Rebel (daughter's first bike)

Shouldn't be a problem or need flushing. All over-the-counter synthetic lubes are compatible with dino juice (NOT true for wheel bearing greases).

Make sure whatever motor oil you use doesn't have anything in the lower part of the ANSI seal (the circle with the ratings).

Anything in the lower half denotes friction modifyers and those are not good things for wet clutches
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Daniel, I told him the lube for the middle and final drives. I don't remember any clutch in these parts, but then, I AM getting old. The grease SHOULD be cleaned ANY time you renew it. some of the newer grease isn't compatible with the older stuff, synthetic or not.
      Ray
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
      X