clutch problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch problem

I am re-assembling the clutch and the little retaining wire broke. Can I use just any wire to replace it? Do I even need it? If no and yes where do I get a new one?

ThanXS,
    JEss
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

NOTE: The clutch boss is a sub-assembly with a built-in damper located inside the first clutch plate. Do not disassemble this unit unless there is severe clutch chatter. Make sure the retaining ring end (Figure 25) is securely in place.
    I hope the below photo shows up!? Okay it does, sorry for the sidescrolling size!?!?

Part #8 on Bike Bandit is clutch boss ring!
    8: RING,CLUTCH BOSS 22676-001 $6.80

However, Prom or Geezer might be able to chime in on whether a generic homemade replacement might work!?

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Is it supposed to be just a wire? Or is it some kind of large clip.
      '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Wired or Clipped!

Well Jesse,

It's a relatively small wire but I think it acts like a clip to help keep the other dampener parts together on the clutch boss!? Prom wrote me in a PM and he's kinda preoccupied recently wooing a new GF, so we may not see much of him for a little while!?

But hopefully he'll poke back in at least on the 16th, since believe it or not, it's both his and my Birthday!!!!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Poor Prom... he should know better than that It will be wierd having him back w/o the grizzle. I love that expression. Has anyone seen the SNL w/ Garth brooks as the host were they do the skit of the game show "Most Grizzled Old Bastard?" Oh well, none of the rest of us are any smarter. We're sick, really. Women drive us insane... and judging by our actions...we must like it

Hope every body makes it through VD ok.
          (Valentines Day)
          '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
          X