Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Bike that has sat for years - where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Bike that has sat for years - where to start?

I was just given an 81 XS11 H that was my father in laws before he passed. My mother in law said that to here knowledge it was mechanically sound. The clutch cable broke and he didn't get it fixed. It has sat in a tool shed and has not ran for the last 5 years.

So where should I start other than the obvious like draining and replacing all the fuids, Cleaning of carbs etc. Is there anything else I should look for that could be cause by sitting for this long? Cosmetically this thing needs some work. All of the chrome is rather corroded, from sitting in the shed, and alot of engine bolts, etc. are showing some rust. This tells me that the ol' trusty tool shed was a damp place, as I know it didn't look like this 5 years ago.

Any tips are much appreciated, I have full plans on ressurecting this bike, but I don't have the budget to do a complete engine overhaul right now. I'd just like to get it running if possible.

Thanks.
    '81 H XS11 Standard.

Start at the beginning!

Hey there BGrubb7,

Congrats on an Xsive Find and welcome to the madness!!

First, start by reading thru the tech tips, ALL OF THEM!!
    There is one in the Misc. section on what to look for in a neglected XS! Almost every thing you could ask about is either covered there, or in the multitude of threads here in the tech discussion section. The SEARCH function will reveal many more threads than are shown in this first page!

You'll need to clean all Electrical connectors and use Di-electric grease! New battery is a must! Clean all cable connections, grounds, etc.!! Check and replace fuses, preferably with a new ATC fuse block, see thread in Members Section, as well as Tech tips!!

Replace both tires....dry rot is sometimes not visible, rubber ages poorly, you don't want a blow out with this much power beneath you!

Pull, disassemble and clean ALL BRAKE PARTS, master cylinders and calipers...you may NOT need to replace the parts with new!?

READ THE TECH TIPS on Carb cleaning or you'll destroy many rubber parts improperly soaking parts that should NOT BE SOAKED in cleaner!

This will get you started, hope you get the hint, READ, READ, READ!
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Welcome Bgrubb.

One thing about TC...

This will get you started, hope you get the hint, READ, READ, READ!
      If you can't read too well... TC can draw some pretty pictures for us too!
      Congrats on your XS.. I am sorry to hear about the circumstances of you getting it. Take your time... learn... and enjoy bringing that classic bike back to life! We all look forward to hearing of your progress. Good luck.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Welcome BGRUBB7,
        Yeah... that tip on neglected Xs's is pretty thorough. Run into any probs, give a holler.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm just glad to have found this website. I'm positive that this site and forum are going to be an grat resource for me.

I've been away from the bike scene for awhile (used to have a Honda CB1000 and a 750 VFR back in the day) and am really psyked about getting this hot rod going, and getting back on 2 wheels. I probably won't get serious about it for at least another month or two, but I plan on taking pics every step of the way. I'll probably post some pics of it in it's sorry current state this week.

later.
          '81 H XS11 Standard.

Comment

Hey TC - I can't find that Tech Tip article about a neglected XS. Can you post a link?

Thanks.
            '81 H XS11 Standard.

Comment

Re: Start at the beginning!

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
              Hey there BGrubb7,

First, start by reading thru the tech tips, ALL OF THEM!!
              There is one in the Misc. section on what to look for in a neglected XS!
              Neglected XS thread in MISC Section!

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Duh

I was looking at the tech tips area of the main site, not the one here in the forum.

Thanks for setting me straight
                '81 H XS11 Standard.

Comment

Working...
                X