clutch disassembly tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch disassembly tool

I have a '79 xs11 F that I bought last year, and haven't had to get into much (besides cleaning carbs, etc.). For this season I want to replace the friction plates and springs, as the clutch slips under full torque. The parts will be in the mail any day now, but I want to find out if I need the special Yamaha tool to hold the basket while I loosen the locknut, or will a standard grabber do the job. I'd like to not drain the oil and look at the clutch until I have all the right tools, so if somebody has experience with this (and by the looks of this forum slipping clutches come with this bike) let me know, please. Thanks a lot.

Well I am actually at that very stage right now. You don't have to drain the oil so long as your on the side stand. I rolled the rear tire up on a piece of 1x6 board just to increase the lean a liitle to be sure. I didn't spill a drop of oil when I pulled the cover. I have to go down today to get a socket big enough for the big basket nut. Unfortunately I cant tell if it is 26 or 27mm... The calipers wont fit in there and the best measure I can get is ~26.67mm...??? I guess I'll look for both unless anyone knows and replies before I head downtown....
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

27mm

i just saw mine this morning,was a 27mm, for the XJ. but just to be absolute i would like a second opinion and Jac put it in gear and hold the rear brake on. should do you just right.
      1982 XJ 1100
      going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
      now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

thanks chev, good idea with the gear/brake combo since I don't have the convienence of impact tools. Someday, damn-it.....someday
        '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Here is a thread about the ckutch nut size

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...lutch+nut+size

Comment

ouch, my hands hurt. So, does anyone else have any good tricks for getting this nut off? I have been pounding the crap out of it with my impact driver for half an hour. I tried putting it in first and using the brake, but I am afraid I am using too much force and will screw up trans/drive parts. I also tried heating the nut w/ a torch. I haven't tried the cold chisel and hammer trick yet but don't want to if I don't have to. Need some input
            thanXS

ps the impact driver I have is a cheapo so if someone thinks I should get a better one lemmee know
            Last edited by 81xsproject; 02-11-2006, 04:26 PM.
            '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

alright now I gotta busted nuckle, but I did find this thread. I need a breaker bar now and probably a torque wrench to put it back together.
              '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

git it!!! ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha, I win!!!! (so far )
                '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

good oo

now i'm curious what size was the nut on clutch? seems like there were a few different sizes.
                  1982 XJ 1100
                  going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                  now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

I did a 78E clutch and removed an 80SG clutch and used a 27MM socket. Actually, it was a 1&1/16 inch, 6-point socket that was tight (tapped it on), which equates to a 26.99mm socket. Go with 27mm.
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

The right tool for the job!

Hey Jacques,Jesse,

This is probably too late, but have you looked at the 1st and 2nd gear Dremmel tech tip, cause it shows the Clutch removal process?!?! BTW, along with a large/standard sized torque wrench, you will also need a smaller scale 0-75lbs, or Inch pound torque wrench for the star plate bolts, only need 7lbs! Easy to strip them out being steel bolts into Aluminum!!

Also, soak your new friction plates in oil. And use some carb cleaner and then fine emory cloth on your steels to get the old varnish and gum off of them!!

BE VAWY, VAWY CAREFUL putting that star plate back on!! Good Luck!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

thanXS TC, I am headed down to pick up a torque wrench today. Plates are within specs. So, back in they go.
                        '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Back when I was working on bikes for a living, I took an old Yamaha clutch steel plate and welded a handle on it. Most of the time you can just spin the nut off and on with an air wrench.

Geezer
                          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
                          X