Hacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hacks

Lookin at Frappr, a see a lot of sidecars. Strangely enough I am thinking about a sidecar rig sometime in the next year or so. I was looking at Urals (I know, I know, but they are dedicated sidecars rigs), but the pictures have made me wonder about adding a hack to one of my XSs.

So, it would be going on a H, with the Vetter fairing. I would want to be able to remove it in the summer, without making the bike unrideable (Obviously). I am not to mechanically inclined, but can bolt and wire and such (No welding), and would be willing to send my bike to a mechanic to do the work, if there was a place recommended.

I think that is it. Thanks in advance
    I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

hack

i have a 78 standard with a hitchhiker that i have had for 3 1/2 yrs. i know others that also have xs11s with hacks. the xs11 has alot of trail for a hack but that is easily fixed by mixing std and spec. frt. end pieces. once you get set up for a hack you are better off leaving it on and getting another 2 wheeler. Kevin on this list lives in Rice Lake. he did a xs11 with a Watsonian a couple yrs. ago.
    fly

Comment

I see that you say that a combination of standard and special fork parts will reduce the trail for a hack, do you know which parts are needed and how this works.
      I have a 1980 SG with a hack and would like to do this as I can not find any triple tree modifaction makers.
      Thanks for any info or contacts.
      rpriest8

Comment

I picked up a used triple tree from ebay and sent it to Side Effects in Canada for their Steerite trail modification and it made a world of difference.

I kinda wish I'd tried the Standard/Special parts swap first for comparison but.... Either way makes the bike a dedicated sidecar tug but the steering is so easy I'm considering a damper.

http://www.sidecars.ca/

I'd recommend trying out a hack before buying one. I've heard it said that you either love it or hate it with no in between and I tend to agree. Professional mounting will definitely reduce the tinkering and fabrication involved.

XS11s make good tugs but the sidecar needs to be appropriate. My velorex was way too light and will be on ebay soon. A great wealth of info is available on a yahoo group called SCT and more forums can be found at:

http://www.sidecar.com/megabbs/category-view.asp

Luck,

Rob

Comment

mix & match

use the special forks and top tree on a standard. Hack'd mag had an atricle bout 10 yrs ago. i'm a puter dummy don't have the know how or equip to post it. give me your address and i'll get a copy made and mail it to you.
          fly

Comment

My email address is rpriest2531@msn.com.
            If you need my actual address let me know and I will send it.

Thanks for all you help.

Roy

Comment

Front suspension

A couple of years ago, I had sold a set of triple clamps for a 78E to fredintoon, so he could mount them on his Special that has a hack attached. He said that the Standard clamps and Special forks have the proper trail and rack for better steering when running a hack. Contact him for more info. btdtdan could also give you some infor on the subject, as he has an 81SH with a hack also.

Comment

Working...
              X