Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beauty, eh?

Man, that is one fine looking machine!
    I had a couple of them to use to restore one, but the project fizzled, and I parted them out. Shame, I really like the XJ styling. I did use one of the engines in my SG for a few years, until I put an 'Owie' on it. I missed a 3-4 shift at over 7k, and it started making funny little noises. That's when I did the big bore on my original engine...out of necessity... yeah, that's it, necessity, yeah

Comment

Maxie,

If we were talking about women, I'd be asking if she had a sister!!!! My God, Zilla is AWESOME. You have raised the bar. What really strikes me is how clean and contemporary he looks.
      Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
      78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
      02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

Originally posted by Parr8hed
        wow, sharp bike. talk to me about those bags. i like the look of them. what kind are they?
        Off a mid to late 80's Venture Royale. I always thought that shape hardbag fit the look of the Maxim better than the XS Bags did because the XJ is so much "curvier" than the Specials or the Standards.

I got 'em on Ebay for 75 or 80 bux and painted 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by jimboreeno
          Your Maxim is BEAUTIFUL!
          Mine is currently about that color of silver/gray and I am needing to paint her. After seeing your Zilla, I am sticking with the color. It just looks great. If I want to explore that coating for my pipes here in the Nashville area, where would you suggest I start??
          http://www.jet-hot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BLUEJEEPLAB
            Maxie,

If we were talking about women, I'd be asking if she had a sister!!!! My God, Zilla is AWESOME. You have raised the bar. What really strikes me is how clean and contemporary he looks.
            YEah well all the Maxims were ahead of their time. I used to ride a Maxim 650 in the early 80's. They were miles ahead of most bikes then in styling and performance. The 650's and up were all shaft driven and ran like they were shot out of a cannon.

The XJ11 is no acception. It was styled like it's little brothers with the radically curved tank and the "curved" spoke mags and high step seat.

The Uber cool thing about the XJ1100 is this:

IT HAS AN XS11 POWERPLANT!

Comment

Maximan...

Unlike your XJ, mine TRUELY has an XS power plant.... 1978 model to be exact! lol. I did put an XJ head on it though, with those much bigger valves.

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Really great looking bike Maxim! Agree about the XJ series bikes. I had an XJ750RH Seca, fantastic bike and nearly as fast as an XS11. I liked the "computer" readout feature too, really slick.
                Shiny side up,
                650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

So, Tod... do you know it the XJ head improved torque, i.e. does it accelerate more quickly over OEM xs11s?

Originally posted by trbig
                  Maximan...

Unlike your XJ, mine TRUELY has an XS power plant.... 1978 model to be exact! lol. I did put an XJ head on it though, with those much bigger valves.

Tod
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Well, I really don't know. When I bought the bike, it had severe sit-itis, and it ran like a lead sled... would lose speed going up a hill if i didn't downshift. I initially tried to adjust the shims in the noisy head and the shim tool I bought was crap... so long story short... newbie me ended up bending my valves. Cam chain was around cams, but not the crank... spun the motor, which moved... cams didn't. Used an XJ head I had off of a spare motor, and reused the XS cams with it (Was suggested might get better performance that way).
                    In my long winded fasion... I am trying to say I don't know. I really have nothing to compare it to except a clogged carb, stretched cam chain, lead pig. I do know that it runs well now... good enough to where my 1st gear has started jumping on me if I get on it off the start. I need the 1st and 2nd gear fix in the fall. I am just going to keep easy on the ol' thing a bit (In 1st gear anyway). I will get some new clutches and springs and do the gear fix for next year... maybe clean it up a bit so I can meet up and ride with Maximan's Zilla at some point without having to ride with sunglasses and full face mask to hide my shame!
                    Sorry not much help.

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100

Comment

One more note... I have been told that the XJ new compression is around 145-148 psi. With this XS motor, I have almost 160 with these bigger valves... would make sense if it was a little stronger.

Tod

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100

Comment

Skids

The XJ11 is basically the same engine and performs similarly. As you noted the XJ head has larger valves. It also has lame cams and lower compression though not radically. The XS was 9.5:1 I think and the XJ is 9.2:1.

I've had a naked '79 SF and an '80 SG full dresser (King Kong). Either of those bikes ran slightly better than Zilla though not radically. However in a foot race Kong or Zeus ('79) would take Zilla.

Zilla does have pretty good low end grunt but it is not significantly more than either of the XS I've had. The XJ did have a little better fuel mileage however...about 2-3 mpg better on the highway at most speeds...there again it wasn't radical.

If a guy was going to gather up a bunch of "bolt on" OEM parts to combine the hottest Eleven without going third party...the combination would be '79 cams in an '81 or '82 head. I think the '81 head has the bigger valves too.

Comment

All I can add is WOW! again.
                          Marty in NW PA
                          Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                          Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                          This IS my happy face.

Comment

Turned out great man!! You've made me proud to have worked on it. It would have taken me a long time to finish it up like that. What we did was definitly the best way to go. They always turn out better when an owner who loves them does the work.
                            1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
                            1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
                            1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
                            2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
                            2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

Hey Mr. Max, I wonder if you ought to throw up a pic of what he was when you left here in Sept.? He was pretty bashed up..... looking at that and then what he is now, just 6 months later..... I'm stoked about what we did. Mostly you, of course. I just made it cruise again.
                              1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
                              1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
                              1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
                              2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
                              2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

Made it cruise again that you DID! I may have made it look pretty but you made it run again bro.

Okeeeee....here's the proof...It ain't pretty...

Wished I had a shot of the inside of the fairing/dash with the broken triple tree. That looked uber-narly.

Thanks again Matt.
                                Last edited by MAXIMAN; 02-14-2006, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X