Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All the kings horses...

....and all the kings men
    couldn't get did what Matt and Cody did.

That's right fellas. Introducing the New and Improved Zilla. Matt Katter (rally master for the Reno rally) fixed it after the wreck. He put new forks, fork seals, triple tree, fender and fairing. Am I forgetting anything Matthew?

When I got it back to OK-land I had the whole bike re-painted pearl metallic grey, fabricated new hardbag frames, Jet-Hot coated the header pipes, and installed a Sargent custom seat. Here's the pics of the new and improved Zilla.

Lord I love these Elevens!!!

Wow.
    1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
    1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
    1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
    1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
    1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
    1982 XS650
    1980 XS1100g
    1979 XS1100sf
    1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Jet-Hot coated

Max very nice! Tell me more on the re-work you did to the pipes. I've never heard of the coating you are talking about but it sure looks nice. Is it like a replate process?
      wingnut
      81 SH (Daily Ride)
      81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
      81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
      82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
      81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Beautiful bike!!! Looks like you just rode that 24 year old bike off the showroom floor. So THAT'S what my XJ is supposed to look like huh?!! Maybe we can go for a ride sometime, and it will really make YOUR XJ look good! LOL.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Re: Jet-Hot coated

Originally posted by wingnut
          Max very nice! Tell me more on the re-work you did to the pipes. I've never heard of the coating you are talking about but it sure looks nice. Is it like a replate process?
          No Jet-Hot is a ceramic coating process much like powder coating. Jet-Hot has been in biz for years and they are the bomb schnizzle of coatings.

What you are looking at is their third generation of silver ceramic. It is called sterling and is close to chrome...but no cigar. In person it looks like polished aluminum. You can see images reflected in the coating. The cool thing about this type coating is IT WILL NOT DISCOLOR. It good for temperatures far in XS of exhaust gases. Many hot rodders use this instead of chrome because it looks great but does not discolor.

All I had done were the four down pipes. Tax, shipping and all it was about $200.

The seat is a Sargent Custom. I sent my pan and told them what I wanted. They installed super-cell foam inserts which give more support. They very slightly widened the rear seat and re-cover it in Carbon-FX material with a smooth broder and grey piping to match the paint. They re-covered the back rest to match. That was too bad either. Initially Sargent estimated $350 total. But when I got the seat and backrest back they only charged me $267!

The paint was done by a local body shop. It is a very very good job. I brought them the parts (fairing, lowers, tank and bags). They preppped, painted, baked clear coated all for $550.

All in all after the forks and triple tree parts and fairing ...probably spent $1500. I could've bought another one for that but it wouldn't be Zilla.

Zilla only had 5,000 miles when I bought him. Some woman in Tracy, CA had him. She bought him new ... put 5,000 miles on him and parked him in a heated garage for 20 years. When I got the bike it was basically new. I know the history of this bike and I trust it so I don't want to part with it for any price short of an arm and a leg.

Nice Elevens are hard to find. Nice Maxims are even harder. And of all the Elevens (I've had a few) I personally like the Maxim for a road bike because of several reasons:

Stiffer frame
          Lowered COG
          5 gallon tank
          Air shocks all around...better for loads
          much improved seat
          linked brakes...I love this feature
          adjustable handlebars
          and Believe it or not I like the computer pilot box. It just has more information.

But I also like the radical curve of the tank. Something I always loved about the Maxim.

And best of all the engine is an XS11...

Comment

Tod..Tod...Tod!!!

Geez I feel like a heel! I was supposed to trade shims with you weeks ago!!! Blahhhhh! Sorry. If you need any still lemme know. I have a few.

Yeah maybe we can hook up. I have a good friend here in Stillwater that has an '80 SG full dresser. Named King Kong. If you search around here somewhere you'll find pics when I had it before he bought it from me.

Comment

Sweet!!!
              Ken Talbot

Comment

You must have slept since then. I emailed you and told you my local shop had what I needed... but... on second thought... I changed my mind... just send me all your shims! lol.
                Thanks though. Maybe if we hook up with Kong... I can make both your bikes look good! lol. All these names for the bikes.. I have to come up with one for mine I guess. Something with the name ugly in it for now.. I am trying to get this thing dependable first, then clean it up later. It doesn't look as bad as I let on, but it's no Zilla either. Just put some leather bags on it today... man did I have to butcher 'em to get it arranged under that seat!

I look forward to a ride any time. I don't need much notice or incentive. I had a buddy tell me about some rally in Sparks OK??? Never heard of it, but says it's in the spring sometime. North of Shawnee I think.

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100

Comment

You Look Maaaahvelious!!

Hey there Maximan/Cody,

"Zilla" looks awesome, congrats on getting it back into shape!! I'll have to remember about that....um.....er...Jet-Hot coating technique!! I've got some plans to try to fabricate some pipes out of Stainless, got some tips today from a retired welder on working with Stainless, wish I had a TIG, but only have a MIG. I'll be looking into getting a pipe bender as well to assist in the fab process!! Should be fun if not informative!!

Tod, Your XJ looks very good, especially that NEW DUNLOP rear tire!!! How's it behave and handle?

As for a name, you could scramble UGLY into "LUGY" for sort of a "Spit" shine appearance! Did you ever read the megathread about "nicknames" and how folks came up with theirs? Might give you some ideas....a variety of ways folks come up with them, from experiences getting them, working on them, riding them, as well as other life experiences.

Both Maximan and I have our machines named Godzilla, but we're on opposite coasts and they are different machines, so there's no jealousy!! Of course mine WAS first!
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Wow!! Very nice!!

That new jet hot looks amazing!! I had seen earlier versions of it and it didnt look near that smooth and reflective. I'm going to have to see if there's someone in town that has that. $200 bucks is a bargain for pipes that will never discolor, if you ask me.
                    80 XS1100SG
                    81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

hi TC.. The Dunlop is much better. I am slooooowly getting to be able to trust it. As close to wiping out as i did with the blowout.. still a little leery about getting down there to peg-scraping territory.
                      As for pipes that never dis-color... how are idiots like me supposed to know when we are running lean if we don't get to turn em blue!??

Tod

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by trbig
                        . All these names for the bikes.. I have to come up with one for mine I guess. Something with the name ugly in it for now..

Tod
                        Don't look bad to me. Wonders can be done with soap...water...and carnuba wax.

TC wrote:
                        Did you ever read the megathread about "nicknames" and how folks came up with theirs?

That's easy. I'll plagarized TC.
                        Last edited by MAXIMAN; 02-10-2006, 07:56 AM.

Comment

wow, sharp bike. talk to me about those bags. i like the look of them. what kind are they?
                          Travis Miller
                          1978 E

Comment

Originally posted by JWSanders
                            Wow!! Very nice!!

That new jet hot looks amazing!! I had seen earlier versions of it and it didnt look near that smooth and reflective. I'm going to have to see if there's someone in town that has that. $200 bucks is a bargain for pipes that will never discolor, if you ask me.
                            JW

I checked on several competitve processes in Tulsa and OKC. They were all $220 to $250 plus tax. The original Jet-Hot was $180 plus S&H and the total was actually $220. The turn around time about 10 days. The local turn around was about 7 days so I went with the original. I've had a couple of "hot rodders" like Dan Hodges and others tell me Jet-Hot is actually a better process.

The have a shop in Mississippi, Arizona, and Michigan I think.

Comment

Your Maxim is BEAUTIFUL!
                              Mine is currently about that color of silver/gray and I am needing to paint her. After seeing your Zilla, I am sticking with the color. It just looks great. If I want to explore that coating for my pipes here in the Nashville area, where would you suggest I start??
                              Last edited by jimboreeno; 02-10-2006, 01:29 PM.
                              JimBoReeno
                              My Ex!"Half-Breed"
                              '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
                              '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
                              2000 Indian Chief
                              Millennium Edition

Comment

Working...
                              X