Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bolt is broken :-((

hi friends!
    today one of the the two bolts (for the axle) which are at the left front fork is broken off. now my question: are these bolts fixed with the front fork or can i screw them out and replace them?

thanks for your help in advance!!!

greetings Holger
    xs1100 2h9 '79

hmmm, i believe they are studs, but they should still come out. you are the first person to ask this question that i know of.
    - dan
    - thinker57@lycos.com
    - SF/H/E/HD "Stray Bullet"

Comment

Holger,
      I did exactly the same thing to my 81XS last year. I tried to get the bolt out by drilling it out and rethreading it but I just didnt trust it (keeping your axle on is kinda important you know! )
      So I just went to my local bone yard and found another fork.

If you have trouble finding one let me know, I might be able to find another at that same yard. I would be happy to ship it to you if i can find one.

You might also try e-bay, they do show up there from time to time.

BTW, the bolts do break pretty easily (Im a big guy and put my back into it and overtightend mine and POP). Check your manual and use a torque wrench. If not, just feel it out but don't overtighten. I also used some locktight on the bolts just for insurance.
      [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
      [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
      The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

could screw out the bolt!

hi guys!
        i'm verry happy because i just screwed out the bolt! :-) now i ordered i new bolt for 4,20 EUR (pretty expensive for that little bolt) at my local yahama dealer. but less expensive as a new fork!

so blue skies and happy rides!!

holli

Comment

Very glad to hear it!
          Safe Riding.
          [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
          [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
          The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

Working...
          X