From death comes ideas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From death comes ideas...

Had nothing to do after a Dr's appt. today, so I figured I'd go ahead and dismantle the parts bike. Gave the impact driver quite a workout. It's pretty amazing how fast you can take one down. Nothing left on the frame but wheels and a motor, and the empty bars. Took less than 3 hours. Now I just gotta decide what to keep and what to sell.

After I got done I looked at the motor, then looked at a big pile of 2" square tube steel I have laying in the storage room, and had an epiphany. What a great motor it would make for the offroad/dune buggy type ATV I was thinking of making out of all that steel. It seems like it would be relatively easy to adapt the shaft drive to an axle of some sort. Lower the rear end gearing to give it more torque and such.

I'm kinda curious as to how much weight that it could pull and still be somewhat quick. I wonder how the tranny would hold up, as well. It's got more power than a VW bug motor, which is what I had always planned to use. I was thinking a smallish frame, kinda like an Odyssey, but big enough for 2 adults to squeeze in. Rear mounted engine, if possible. Big fat 4-wheeler tires, etc. Probably around 1000 lbs before the riders get in.

What do ya'll think?
    80 XS1100SG
    81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

i think you're insane
    but isnt that what makes life great.
    79 xs1100 standard
    76 kz900 <now 1015
    Terry Meyer

Comment

I think it sounds awesome. I wonder how the 11 would pull withover 2x the weight, though. Then again 4 wheeler tires aren't as tall so you'd get some torque back there.
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

This engine/transmission would be an excellent candidate for your project. Do you plan to use an automotive type rear differential drive? If so, remember that this engine output rotates in the opposite direction as an auto engine. I had planned something similar, and have a Toyota Tercel rear axle from the old four wheel drive car. I planned to shorten one side, and the inside part can be rotated 180 degrees and put back in the housing, after the back sheetmetal pan has been pounded out so that it is the same as the other side. If you use some other axle, you may find that the center part only installs in one position, then you will have to turn the whole assy up side down, or mount it with the drive facing the rear, and the engine behind that. The gear ratio is not too much different than the XS rear drive, somewhere near 3 to 1. If you use tires the same size as the XS rear, then the forward speed would be close to that of the motorcylce. Rear wheels and tires of about half the diameter of the XS rear tire would be close to ideal. I had considered building a trike, but have a lot of details to work out. If you wish to do this, PM me, and maybe we can share our ideas and each of us can gain some knowledge about projects of this sort.
        put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
        79 F (Blueballs)
        79 SF (Redbutt)
        81 LH (organ donor)
        79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
        76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
        rover has spoken

Comment

If it hasn't already been done, I would suggest the 1st and 2nd gear fix BEFORE installation. All that extra weight going into the gears... if it doesn't have a problem now, my bet is that it will! I agree with you that it should be pretty easy to get the shaft matched up to a rear end. I remember riding Odessy's as a kid... and they were a blast with considerably less HP than what these bikes have. Good luck and keep us posted.
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Surfing the net, I've seen the odd post about throwing an XS11 engine into a cart or sprint car. I also caught the end of a TV show awhile back, where Jesse James had a group of school kids build a little sprint car based around a Yamaha in-line 4 cyl motorcycle engine. I don't think it was an XS engine, but was definately Yamaha. Once they got the tuning and drive alignment right, it went like stink! I wish I could get my XS throttle response to be as instantaneous as they did....it sounded like 0-5000 rpm in a second! Anyway, have fun if you do it...and post pics!!
            Dennis

Comment

Reverse Rotation Axles

not that I know squat about them, but I have read a little about them in off road mags, ie. Peterson's 4wheel and Off Road
              Yamaniac
              '79 xs11 sf - WidowMaker, 750 final drive
              '80 xs1100 sg- ENEMY#1 parts bike no title(free)
              '79 f- frame and swingarm (and title)
              '82 yz 490- needs a cylinder, head, & new piston, etc. Got one for sale?
              '88 Honda cbr600- Running, finally! Training bike for swmbo, maybe a stunt bike for me eventually.

Comment

While poking around tonight I came across this:

That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking to make, but that one's $21000.00 price tag is wayyyy too high.

It's called a Ridge Runner. Their low end is in the $17,000 range. They cannibalize a polaris quad to make their buggy.

The biggest one of those is only an 800, so I'm pretty sure about the 1100 motor being a whopper for this. The tubing I have is 2 inch square, so I think I could feel comfortable making it a little bigger. Seeing that gives me all kinds of ideas, and raises a few more questions, as well. Can an XS motor handle being jostled around, or not being completely level all the time? Thinking about the carbs, I wonder how well they could handle it. I wonder how much airflow the engine would need to keep cool, too.

That's a good idea about doing the gear fixes beforehand. I'm sure it'd put a strain on them.

Right now, I'd be looking at starting this maybe next spring. This year is mostly going to be devoted to riding and getting my bike finished the rest of the way, and getting another one possibly. I've had my eye on a local XS400 for a while now, and I think I may finally make the guy an offer. I really need to get a garage built, too.

I'd design it in Autocad first, already have a rough frame worked out. The key will be finding all the suspension parts on the cheap.
                80 XS1100SG
                81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Talk to Trikerneil

Hey Wes, contact Trikerneil. He's been through the XS11 driveline to differential thing on his trike. http://www.trikenest.freeserve.co.uk/
                  Shiny side up,
                  650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                  XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Always happy to help where I can
                    Triking - it's a way of life!

www.trikenest.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X