Vacume Control Fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacume Control Fuel

OK maybe this is just the mussing of a student at the feet of the masters but… What were our little friends from across the big pond thinking with the vacuum controlled fuel system? Was it because it was a trick way to keep those Marconi carbs from filling the floor of our garages with fuel if we forgot to close the petcocks, EPA mandated control of hydrocarbon vapors or was it something else? I really can’t see an advantage to a system like this when manual valves are so reliable and inexpensive. Now to the meat of my ramblings, how many special drivers have kept the factory fuel line set up? First the need for additional in line filters and the lack of available space to install them almost forces us to get creative. Given 2 petcocks that do not leak (requires some effort), why not tee (a Y fitting would work even better) both lines from the valve to the inline and then straight to the carb inlet. Removing the octopus also opens the area up for better access to the number 1&2 carbs plus makes hooking the monometer up simpler during tuning. The standard riders have fewer options due to the valves and upper vent tees but the special drivers do. Getting rid of excess tubing from that area of the engine sounds like a good idea to me. Especially tubing that’s carrying fuel. I would like to hear the group’s thoughts.
    wingnut
    81 SH (Daily Ride)
    81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
    81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
    82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
    81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Maybe it's because if the bike is in an accident, the engine stops because of the tip-over switch, dead engine=no vacuum.
    No vacuum means gas stays in tank.
    Does that sound right?
    Or will it just come out of the filler anyway?
    Just guessing. I haven't tested this theory (on this bike) yet!
    1979 xs1100sf
    1972 cb500 four

Comment

I just look at it as a 'modern convenience'. I've got two standards and two specials, and all of the vacuum control bits work the way they're supposed to. Yes, it has taken a bit of maintenance but that's to be expected on something that is 25 years old. I like being able to hop on the bike and ride off without having to think about turning on the fuel, and I like to stop, get off, and walk away without having to remember to shut the fuel off. I also like knowing that my headlight comes on automatically, that I will automatically have a back-up headlight operating if my low-beam burns out, and that my signals will cancel themselves after an appropriate amount of time. Yeah, I know none of this stuff takes a lot of effort to do manually, but I just like it.

TMSAISTI....
      Ken Talbot

Comment

My E still has the vacuum petcocks (currently having issues with them).
        My LG has the octopus removed and they are manual. I ran each petcock to it's own 'T', connected the 'T's so that all 4 carbs run off either or both petcocks.
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Safety

Target I can see the safety issue. But the fuel in all those lines, down stream, from the octopus is going to run to the lowest carb and out of the air box. It would stop the whole tank from pouring out but there is still plenty to leak. Better than nothing I guess. I don’t want to sound like a paranoid but after reading yours and Ken’s responses I can believe it was a mandated attempt to make the bike safer. Insurance industry pressure and government regulations might have pressured the manufacturer to incorporate these features. The automatic headlights and vacuum canceling fuel system might have been attempts to keep us safe from ourselves. I also like the head light feature and the modern conveniences. The light system is great in fact I’m trying to figure more ways of being visible, but I’m with Pat the octopus goes.
          wingnut
          81 SH (Daily Ride)
          81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
          81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
          82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
          81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

The fuel doesn't drain out of the lines if the petcock works correctly. Put your finger over the end of a straw in liquid and pull the straw out. How much of liquid drains out? None. Needs a vent on top to drain.

Steve
            80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
            73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
            62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
            Norton Electra - future restore
            CZ 400 MX'er
            68 Ducati Scrambler
            RC Planes and Helis

Comment

I still have the factory octapus and have had very little problems with it. When I rebuilt my carbs after their 17 year slumber I got a rebuild kit for the octapus valve. As many have discovered the plunger was too short and would not seal so I replaced the o-ring on the old one and stretched the spring about and eighth of an inch and have had no problems. As for why they used this setup I'm not sure but probably for liability reasons. After alot of people forgot to shut off the fuel and dumped gas all over the garage, there were probably law suits filed and this was a solution to the problem. Just a guess but it wouldn't take many garages burning down to force a change.
              Original owner of 1980
              Midnight Special

Comment

My 78E is the second bike I've had with the vacuum petcocks. Never had any problem with either bike. Other bike was XJ650RJ, or a 1982 650 Seca. Had somewhere over 75,000k miles on it and never had a minutes trouble.

I know that the vacuum petcocks on my 78E saved me a lot of grief untill I figured out that the number 3 carb float had a leak and wouldn't shut off. Don't ask how long this process took.
                78E ... Gone but not forgotten
                2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

Forgot to say that when I got my 78E i just took them apart and cleaned them, nothing else needed done.
                  78E ... Gone but not forgotten
                  2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

I've been debating taking out my octopus as well, if anything just to make it look cleaner in that area. It's always worked for me though. Still has the original seal in it.
                    80 XS1100SG
                    81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

I had to rebuild and re-jet my carbs so I ditched the octopus just because it was a pain to take off the carbs with it installed. I capped off the "run" side of the petcock and just use "reserve" all the time. I have to reset the odometer at every fill up since I don't trust the low fuel light but the light is working. As a former motocrosser it's a reflex for me to work the petcock when I get on or off the bike.

Ed
                      79 XS1100SF
                      78 YZ400E
                      81 SR500
                      79 RM250
                      77 YZ400D
                      05 RM250
                      78 CR 250 Husky w/TT500 motor

Comment

You may want to check which nipple of the petcock you have the fuel line attached to. The rear ward nipple is for the run and reserve mode. The forward nipple is for prime, and prime won't be needed when you remove the octopus. Cap it off. By running on the forward (prime)nipple you are eliminating the reserve function, as the prime side of the petcock uses the reserve section of the pickup tubes, which sit lower in the tank. When you think you are switching to reserve, it won't be there as you have been running on it all the time. I have removed my octopus years ago, and the way I have the lines plumbed, I can run on one petcock at a time or both at once if I want. I only use one petcock though. I have not had a fuel supply problem at all, and if I want to really twist up on it, I just open the second petcock to be safe. The run position on these petcocks is with the handle down, and reserve is handle up. handle pointed forward is off. I have been doing this for so long, that turning the fuel off and on is easier to remember than... say...putting up the kick stand.

Comment

Thanks John. I have my line on each side hooked up to the front petcock tube and I always turn it to "res" from "off" to get going. So will it run set to "on" with a full tank? I guess I should try that. I thought I was capping off the "pri".

Ed
                          79 XS1100SF
                          78 YZ400E
                          81 SR500
                          79 RM250
                          77 YZ400D
                          05 RM250
                          78 CR 250 Husky w/TT500 motor

Comment

Hey MikeB, where'd you get that kit?

Please.
                            RLMcD