cold blooded bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cold blooded bike

ok guys i had my bike out yesterday and just put a few miles on it is was cold out but warm enought to ride alittle. well the bike started right up with the choke on i let it run with the choke for 5 min then turned it off and the bike died so i had to turn it back on but not all the way and run it for another 5 min and turn it off and it stayed running. but when riding the bike it was really doggish at low rpms but once it hit about 4 grand it acted like a totally different bike and had so much power. what would cause that and how can it be fixed
    79 yamaha xs1100f standard
    best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Bandet,

I was having similar probs with mine..doggy til 3k, then like a striped a$$ ape. Crappy mileage also. Thought I was running rich, so I pulled carbs.

I did notice though, I had a carb to cylinder boot that was loose. It was #2 where the vacuum is pulled from. I am guessing that has something to do with it as well. Since I had the carbs off anyway, decided to go through them. Aside from some dirt and one caved in float chamber, I don't see a whole lot wrong with the carbs. Carbs not back on bike yet, so I can't tell you for sure that the vacuum leak was the culprit, but I'd check those boots to make sure they're tight.
    Yamaniac
    '79 xs11 sf - WidowMaker, 750 final drive
    '80 xs1100 sg- ENEMY#1 parts bike no title(free)
    '79 f- frame and swingarm (and title)
    '82 yz 490- needs a cylinder, head, & new piston, etc. Got one for sale?
    '88 Honda cbr600- Running, finally! Training bike for swmbo, maybe a stunt bike for me eventually.

Comment

Bandet,

These bikes, and others with a “constant mesh” transmission, can easily be shifted without the clutch. But this technique is NOT recommended as it puts extra shock and stress on the gears and other internals. Better, easier and cheaper to replace the clutch plates instead of gears.

As for your clutch, (and your cold-blooded problem in the other post) hit “Search” up top and search for “clutch”, and subjects like carbs, sputtering, bogs, etc. Both subjects are thoroughly covered and there are many recent threads that discuss these two issues.
      Rick
      '80 SG
      '88 FXR
      '66 Spitfire MK II

Comment

thanks for the info fxrer
        79 yamaha xs1100f standard
        best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Comment

Working...
        X