road trip/advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• road trip/advice

Here I go again, down into the depths of old Mexico(say mayheeco)in March. I plan to go as far south as Oaxaca(its about as far south as one can go). I've done this, and many other, long trips on the bike before, but I thought I'd check with the experts(all you oldtimers out there) about any preventative maintenance that might need doing. The old beast has 76k on her now, and is still running strong. OF COURSE i'll be doing all the regular stuff-oil, tires, fluids. I've already done a bunch of the common things-fuse block, brakes, suspension, fork brace, etc. Anything I've missed that's gotta get done before I go? Again, it runs like a champ(right side crankshaft seal may have started to weep), so i'm not too concerned with reliability. Have had the old girl since 28k, we're well acquainted. THX!
    79 xs1100F
    75K and counting...
    76k...
    79k...
    80k...
    86k...

Check your wheel bearings.

First bike was an: 1978 XS1100
    Second bike is an FJR1300.
    Now I'm restoring a '79 XS1100.

Comment

I would personally make sure I had adjustement left in my cam adjuster. After a few thousand miles.. It is prolly gonna need it while you are down there.
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

"Mexico... your friendly neighbor to the south."

Sounds like you've got everything under control. Obviously you'll be carrying your extended tool kit. Maybe a spare headlamp bulb?
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Obviously you'll be carrying your extended tool kit. Maybe a spare headlamp bulb?
          .. yeah what he said,
          and a couple of spare parts also, like a known good tci box, voltage regulator, a clutch cable and levers.. i would rather carry this stuff around and not need it than to be stuck some place far from home and not have it
          .. this sounds like a cool trip, i wish i could go

Comment

Nothing about the bike, and maybe you already have this covered.
            Insurance. Namely liability insurance. My understanding is that even if your US insurance says they cover you, it may take a long time to sort out with out Mexican insurance. Traffic offenses are or can be criminal matters and land you in jail. Money is how you get out.

I nearly hit someone down there a couple of years ago. When discussing it with a native Mexican, they said that if I had, I should just keep going. I don't think I could do that, but they said it was the only way to stay out of jail. I did not have Mexican insurance at that time, but would never drive down there again without it.

Have a great, safe trip amigo.
            Miles to Go, Fuel to Burn

Comment

You gotta take a diary to record all your good experiences so you can tell us about it when you return!!!!!!!!!

Good luck and good trip,

Marc

Comment

If you have never read it, read Road Trip by Tim Cahill. Not only is it halarious, it will it has some really good info for traveling down there. Short book (<200 pages), really funny. I recommend it to everyone else as well.
                '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

GNEPIG,
                  a couple of spare parts also, like a known good tci box, voltage regulator
                  That's exactly my idea of an extended tool kit. Wouldn't leave the state without them. (Swapped a regulator in Wyoming)
                  "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Tire plug kit!!! You can get one from Dennis Kirk or Chapperall. They run about $35. Come with tire plugs and CO2 cartridges to refill the tire. I have never used mine on my bike, but worked great on a K1200 I came across in the middle of nowhere with a rear flat You would think a 20k bike would come with one. Anyway, it worked as advertised and was good for a night of free beers when the Beemer owner ran into me at the bar later that day. Also, extra fuses. (I see your in Austin, we ned to get together and ride!!!)
                    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Great advice y'all, keep it coming. I've always bought Mexican insurance when i go down there, and have become somewhat familiar with the ins and outs of mexican law enforcement(had to pay a fine/bribe to a cop in mexico city). Also plan to avoid as many big cities as possible. WEBB-would love to go riding sometime, esp since the weather has been so nice. Cheers all.
                      79 xs1100F
                      75K and counting...
                      76k...
                      79k...
                      80k...
                      86k...

Comment

Working...
                      X