Custom Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Seat

I just sent in my order form to Russel Day-Long Saddles. I was just wondering if any of you out there in XSive Land had bought one of these seats for your XS and how was it. I have got to do something about my seat IT SUCKS! And I like to ride all day.
    Im about to drop over $600 on it after shipping, I just hope its worth it. (Its cheaper than a new bike fer sher!)
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Wayne,,,,in sending your order are you providing them with a pan?? Or are they making your seat from a template they have. I have never had one of these seats made so have no experiance in this stuff. Inquiring minds want to know??? Hehe.
    Ken Krieger
    Chesterfield, Va.
    81 XS1100SH - Radar Rider
    82 XJ1100J - Black and Blue
    82 XJ1100J - Bucket o Bolts
    79 XS1100SF - Road Raider
    1980 XS1100 - Frankenbike
    85 XJ700 Maxim
    06 VMax - Black Max
    85 650 Nighthawk

Comment

Wayne, did they ask for your 'measurements' and like that?

I only know 2 people that have/had Russell's, and they swear by them.
      Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Well I have been to the Russel site now and they make there own pans out of fiberglass.Our bikes are not listed. Ours bieng XS1100's, but it gives the number ofr special inquires and when I get home will make such and inquiry and post the results here. Obviously if the original poster replies my investigation will be a moot point here but worth it for me,. I love diggin for this stuff.
        Ken Krieger
        Chesterfield, Va.
        81 XS1100SH - Radar Rider
        82 XJ1100J - Black and Blue
        82 XJ1100J - Bucket o Bolts
        79 XS1100SF - Road Raider
        1980 XS1100 - Frankenbike
        85 XJ700 Maxim
        06 VMax - Black Max
        85 650 Nighthawk

Comment

Originally posted by kenkrieger
          Wayne,,,,in sending your order are you providing them with a pan?? Or are they making your seat from a template they have. I have never had one of these seats made so have no experiance in this stuff. Inquiring minds want to know??? Hehe.
          You have to send them your pan. I am also having a backrest installed into my seat.

Originally posted by Mike Hart
          Wayne, did they ask for your 'measurements' and like that?

I only know 2 people that have/had Russell's, and they swear by them.
          You have to send them a photo of you sitting on your bike. If you weight more than 220 lbs. (as I do! ) then you will have to order the heavy duty springs (about $45 more). They tell you on the web site how they want the photo.

----also----

You used to have to wait for about 3-6 months to get a seat made by these guys but I spoke with a manager at the company and he told me he was part of the new management and that they were reducing their production time to only a few weeks or so unless it is around a holiday.
          All the info is at their web site here.

From what I understand Russell is the only seat that uses a patented spring system in the seat much like your bed or couch at home. JP was telling me that he has heard many good things about the seat as well. There is another custom seat company out there called Diamond but they arent as good as Russell.

Comment

As to the Diamond....

I've had my Diamond for a couple years now, have put around 25K miles on it. Must say I am *very* satisfied with it. So far it has been my only custom seat, so no direct comparison to the Russel, but I have put on *many* 600 mile+ days, and 1 day of well over 900 miles. Bike is an '82 XJ. Problem with long riding days was not the seat, it is knees...you have to get off and flex them from time to time, and/or add alternative footrests.

Diamond seat was on a new fiberglass pan, which allowed me to keep the stock seat as well. I sent them my weight, inseam measurements and they made me a seat over the winter of 2000. Material is a molded foam, not springs. They claim they mix the foam to different densities based on your specs. They will mold the pillion to your passenger specs at no extra charge if you supply them. Cost was $419.00 with tax and shipping, included a rain cover.

Seat took me a couple hundred miles to 'break in'. It is wider and a bit lower than the stock XJ seat ( a true torture instrument for long rides) and has much more of a 'cup' design.

Russell has an excellent reputation, and I don't think you can go wrong with them, but I really like my Diamond seat. It is well made, comfortable, looks good, supplied on a new pan (I bought a 2nd set of mounting hardware for it from another lister) and is a far, far better seat than the stock Yamaha seat. I would have a difficult time justifying another $200 to get the Russell name....
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Wayne, don't forget to give us the specific item numbers of the things you ordered so anyone else will be able to order the right thing without having to re-invent the wheel in terms of research.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry
                As to the Diamond....
                I would have a difficult time justifying another $200 to get the Russell name....
                Hey Jerry,
                Dont know if you got a built in backrest with your seat. The price of the Russell is $325 with all vinyl, the back rest is another $209. This is for the solo only, they leave the passanger part as is and recover it. It is more if you want custom for both pass and driver.

Im glad to hear form someone who has a diamond also. Glad you like it. I talked to those guys last year about a seat for my 81 XS11.

Originally posted by JP
                Wayne, don't forget to give us the specific item numbers of the things you ordered so anyone else will be able to order the right thing without having to re-invent the wheel in terms of research.
                Good idea JP.
                Here is the price page for the Russell.
                The XS11 bikes are an "S1" price code. You can choose the material yourself.
                The guy at Russell told me that they can install the RCP backrest on our pans. The prices for that are also on the price page.

You can print out the order form (a .pdf file) and fill it out and fax it to them. When they recieve to fax, they will put you on the list for a production date and e-mail or s-mail you a date. You dont have to give them any money or the seat to do this part. You only pay when they are done with production.
                Once you get your production date, you will have to ship the seat to them several days before that date. If the seat isnt there on your date you loose your place in line.
                Lots of info on their web site, and if you need more info they do have a 1-800 number. They are very helpful via phone.

Comment

I've been e-mailing Rick Jemison (Indy) in regards to seat selection and he swears by his Russel Day Long. He has one on his '80 special. I quote "nothing is superior to this for comfort". "Worth every penny if you're gonna ride a lot". He says his '80 originally had a Corbin and the previous owner regarded this seat highly. He states that personally he found the Corbin not as comfortable as his Russel. He says that he is more comfortable than anyone he rides with.

I am also curious about the Diamond. I don't know if I can sell the wife on the price of the Russel even though Indy has me convinced.

Comment

Well, Russell Day-Long called me yesterday afternoon and said they were ready for my seat. Said they would have it done in 10 days or so! Wow, It will be ready in time for TeXSive!
                    Took poloroids of my big back side on the bike this morning to send with the seat. Shipping it in today.
                    Ill let you all know how it turns out.
                    Last edited by Wayne; 08-29-2002, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Diamond did not have a backrest for the XJ seat. I've found the cup shape of the seat is pretty good; with the original seat I resorted to useing a weight-lifter belt and backrest on a luggage rack, don't use either with the Diamond.

Diamond sends you material samples; leather is not an option as it is on the Russell, but you can select the color and pattern of the fabric insert (if you go that way, which is what I did) and the rest of the seat is a good quality vinyl.

Price includes main and pillion custom forming. I don't carry a passenger, so had the 'standard' pillion made.

Indy is referring (I think) to the bike previously owned by JC Bull (sadly killed in a mc accident while riding another bike) and I've seen that seat. However, JC is the guy who told me about Diamond while we were both at Camp 2000 in Eureka Springs.

Diamond's main clients are GoldWingers.

No doubt Russell is a terrific seat. At the time I was shopping, neither Russell or Corbin would build an XJ seat, so Diamond was the alternative. I was aprehensive...a $400 seat for a $650 bike...and a point of no return once committed. As I said in my earlier post, I have been very well served by the Diamond over the last 2 years and would recommend them to any XS/XJ owner as a source for a custom seat.

One drawback...summer is a very busy time, so I had my seat built in the off-season. On the other hand, I was able to send them a couple money orders to pay for it, spreading out the cost over a couple pay cycles, which helped keep SWMBO a little happier...

Somewhere I have digital photos of the Diamond and original seats for comparison, Will try to dig them up, am at work now and work tonight at 2nd job, so it may be a couple days before I can post them.
                      Jerry Fields
                      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                      '06 Concours
                      My Galleries Page.
                      My Blog Page.
                      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry

I was aprehensive...a $400 seat for a $650 bike...and a point of no return once committed. As I said in my earlier post, I have been very well served by the Diamond over the last 2 years and would recommend them to any XS/XJ owner as a source for a custom seat.
                        I fell the same way Jerry, I will now have a seat that is litterally worth half as much as the whole bike! But worth is in the eye of the beholder i suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by tradeshowjoe
                          He says his '80 originally had a Corbin and the previous owner regarded this seat highly.
                          I've never seen a Corbin for XS11s. Whatever became of that seat, are there any pictures of it?
                          Robert
                          79 SF

Comment

Finally, It's here!

Well folks, my seat arrived yesterday (yippieee).
                            I took a few quick photos of it just outa the box.
                            Final price for all - $613.00

More picts of it installed, after I finish my front fork rebuild.
                            Last edited by Wayne; 09-20-2002, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Wow, it looks comfortable. Have your butt write us a report
                              Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Working...
                              X