No announcement yet.

Strange Speedometer Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had the same problem and tried lubing twice was going to switch drive unit when it self destructed replaced it with 140mph version from ebay and lo and behold it worked perfectly so waiting for it to fix itself won't always work.

BUT then what does in life.
    " That glass isn't half empty it has a hole in it "

79 SF set to cruise

80special work in progress

and now 78 needs work

Comment

I have a spare drive unit... the one that goes on front wheel. I have an extra speedo... but after repair I couldnt calibrate it right. Shows slow... or fast.... dunno, forgot.

LP
      If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
      (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Had a similar situation on my '79F, the Tach didn't work until the bike was warmed up and the speedo was in need of a little time before it would work. once they started working, they were good for the day but tomorrow, start all over. after a couple weeks, issue went away
        I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Sam Dam Ting

My speedo was more of a how fast you were going a minute ago meter. After a month or so, it started working fine. It did make a bad noise at first. Freaked me out because it sounded like something in the top end was about to seize. But when the noise quit when I pulled over, I figured out what it was. I had to partially disassemble it to lube the drive collar/worm gear, which cured the noise. I did not attempt to lube the inner workings.
          XS1100SF
          XS1100F

Comment

Working...
          X