xs11sf final drive leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs11sf final drive leak

I am having oil leaking from my final drive onto the left side of my back tire. I thought it was the oil seal around the spline gear on the final drive assembly. I replaced the seal but there is still oil comming out onto my wheel. When I had the wheel off I also replaced the right side wheel bearing and noticed rear-end oil in the left side bearing and in the hub. Any ideas where this oil leak is? Anyone have similar problems?

thanks
    eric
    eric
    '79 XS 1100 Special

there's the oil seal that seals the moving part of the shaft, should be next to the big bearing. Check the oil drain nut, replace the copper gasket thingie... don't overtighten. If you have the final drive off, open it, degrease the connecting surfaces and seal with some loctite engine sealer. Don't use too much... bout half a mm should do it. Clean the whole thing while you're at it.

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

It sounds like you are describing an oil seal on the end of the drive shaft. I have oil leaking into the plastic bowl mounted on the wheel and it is being slung out of there onto my wheel. there is no sign of oil leak when the bike is parked, only after I ride. There is no sign of oil leaking around the drain plug. Also I inspected the giant o-ring that seals the cover of the final drive assmbly and it looked all right.
      eric
      '79 XS 1100 Special

Comment

Working...
      X