xs1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs1100E

Have finally found the time to restore the xs1100E. First poblem is the wheels, the black paint has faded or peeled off. Any ideas on what type of paint to use ? been to the auto shops bu to no avail.

Wheel paint

Gidday Russel,
    It depends on how far you want to go with your restoration. Is it a total stripdown or an 'on the go type'?
    If you've got the time, I'd recommend getting them powder coated as, because of the shaft drive, the finish won't be getting chain lube on it and then getting it scrubbed off repeatedly so the coating should stay perfect for many years to come.
    Unfortunately, this method requires the wheel to be completely stripped of all bearings, tyres etc.
    Other option could be acrylic lacquer which could be done without disassembly but if you strip the old paint (fine grit sandblasting does the trick easier in the tight corners then carefully prepare the surface, prime, undercoat, then apply the colour, Straight with thinners at first then for the next few coats, progressively add clear coat to the colour till you're applying near pure clearcoat. Give plenty of drying time between coats (warm oven works well) and the finished result will be tough as nails.
    Hope this helps a bit.
    Eveready Errol
    79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
    Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
    *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
    *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Re: xs1100E

Originally posted by russell
      Have finally found the time to restore the xs1100E. First poblem is the wheels, the black paint has faded or peeled off. Any ideas on what type of paint to use ? been to the auto shops bu to no avail.
      Hey there Russell,
      OR....you can go the easy way, I used basic rattlecan engine gloss black paint. I buffed off the old paint with 3m synthetic drill grinding wheel, had the wheel off the bike of course, then used masking tape to mark off the rim edge, and the bearing ends...anything you don't want paint on,might want to remove the brake rotor, then sprayed away. I used same type NEW grinding tool to remove paint from sides of spokes so the shiny aluminum edges would show,you might want to use a dremmel but it will take more time, then removed the masking tape from rim edge, sprayed some clearcoat on it, done!! Looks good, washes easily, I'm not a perfectionist!!!!!
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

rattle cans rule

this is what my wheel looks like after a rattlecan job. my wheel

prep-wise, i just sanded off the corrosion from the sides and the spokes so they looked purdy, wiped it down with a rag soaked with engine degreaser, used electrical tape to mask the edge of the wheel(bends better than masking tape), and 1/8'' masking tape to mask the edges of the spokes, and primed.

i was putting on new discs at the time so those were off. those got a coat of heat resistent paint made for bbq's
        79ish suzuki rm250
        82 honda cb450sc
        78 honda cx500
        72 honda cb175
        78 yamaha xs11e

Comment

Working...
        X