Do you use anti-seize compound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you use anti-seize compound?

like on spark plugs, carb screws, etc? I do.

If yes, tell us what you use it on.
    Yes
    71.43%
    No
    19.05%
    Never heard of it
    9.52%
    Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Re: Do you use anti-seize compound?

Originally posted by Mike Hart
    like on spark plugs, carb screws, etc? I do.

If yes, tell us what you use it on.

Yes, on exhaust nuts, wheel studs (car) and ANYTHING I come across that is exposed to moisture that I might someday want to take apart again.
    Brian
    1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
    1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
    remembering the same thing!

Comment

yes, on pretty much everything I take apart before I put it back together...
      Ken Talbot

Comment

Use it anytime that you have steel into aluminum. Makes your life, or maybe the next owner's life much easier.
        CUAgain,
        Daniel Meyer
        Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
        Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

antiseize

on one side of my valve cover gaskets, back of brake pads, caliper pins

Comment

Hello,
            i use it on some fasteners, but never on spark plugs. Spark plug makers go to great lengths to make plugs that will not corrode into the head. I have fixed cars where people have used too much anti-sieze and caused the cylinder to misfire. I use a lot more locktite than anti-sieze.

Tip: Fill and old Frenchs mustaed jar with antisieze. this works much,much better than the brush. Less of a mess
            Bill Woods
            1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
            1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
            2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

After starting a simple tune-up on my wife's '68 Mercedes 250S (gangster car), and ending up doing a head job because a spark-plug broke off in the head and could not be removed with anything short of a machine shop, I use antiseize on spark-plugs too . . . if they are into an aluminum head at least.

What should have been a 20 minute job turned into a two week ordeal, and that included about 20 hours of wrench time.
              CUAgain,
              Daniel Meyer
              Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
              Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

I use Copper Anti-Sieze on any steel bolt touching aluminum. It makes life a WHOLE lot easier the next time the assembly need to come apart.
                Ciao,

JL

82 XJ1100 (Not Named Yet)

Life not only begins at forty, it also begins to show.

Comment

I like the applicator tip. I use the stuff on spark plug threads. Steel + aluminum + heat + time = stripped-out plug hole. I had to helicoil one. Sid Clark did too.

Originally posted by Bill__Woods
                  Hello,
                  i use it on some fasteners, but never on spark plugs. Spark plug makers go to great lengths to make plugs that will not corrode into the head.
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Luc
                    I use Copper Anti-Sieze on any steel bolt touching aluminum. It makes life a WHOLE lot easier the next time the assembly need to come apart.

What is the main difference between types of anti-sieze compounds? Dad used copper because that was what he used at work. In the repair shop at MY work, what they use looks to be aluminum as it is almost silver in colour. Anyone know what advantages/disadvantages of the different types?
                    Brian

Comment

I use Loctite 767 which looks very 'silvery' , no copper colour at all. The label on the container says it contains copper and silica quartz.
                      Ken Talbot

Comment

Just did something REALLY radical and "looked at the container"!! Sorta feels like (R)ead (T)he (FRIENDLY) (M)anual... It's a nickel/graphite composition that is used in areas where exposure to high (2400F) and acids are likely to be encountered.
                        Brian

Comment

I use anti seize anytime I have disimmilar metals together,and where high heat and corrosion are a factor,,,over much of the Motorcycle this is the case. So everytime I take something apart it gets a little treatment. Except in the carb area, not necessary in my experiance. YMMV
                          Ken Krieger
                          Chesterfield, Va.
                          81 XS1100SH - Radar Rider
                          82 XJ1100J - Black and Blue
                          82 XJ1100J - Bucket o Bolts
                          79 XS1100SF - Road Raider
                          1980 XS1100 - Frankenbike
                          85 XJ700 Maxim
                          06 VMax - Black Max
                          85 650 Nighthawk

Comment

I have worked the last 20 years as a mechanic and use it anytime I have dissimilar metals joining (ie. steel screw into aluminum) and also anywhere moisture and corrosion can be a problem (almost anywhere on a motorcycle). Living in the "snow belt" I can't guess how many hours I have wasted freeing corroded nuts and bolts.
                            I find the silver colored Loctite brand to be the best, but if you have the copper use it, it is much better than nothing. In a pinch toothpaste also works surprisingly well (not gel type).
                            I do not recommend using it in critical places where lock nuts are required such as axle nuts and motor mounts.
                            buffalo
                            80 XS1100SG

Comment

I have a can of "nuclear grade" nickel never seize that went home in my lunch pail about 25 years ago. I put a slight dab on spark plugs and not much else.
                              Rocky
                              00 Cagiva Gran Canyon
                              80 XS11 Special -sold
                              77 HD Sportster
                              75 Norton Commando

Comment

Working...
                              X