Murphy's Law on oil changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murphy's Law on oil changes

So, today I started a "routine" oil change. And then good old Murphy stepped in and layed down the "Law." Because of my 4-1 exhaust, I have to loosen the exhaust nuts to give me some space to drain the oil. The rear bracket was still bolted up and while I loosening the # 2 nuts the pipe dropped to the floor????? I looked under the bike and the #2 exhaust pipe is sitting against the floor and I I can see a gaping hole where it USED to go into the 4-1 condenser

I took it down to a muffler shop. The guy walks up, looks in the back of my truck, and says "looks like a four shooter, what's that off of?" I tell him, he nods and tells me how he just bought a '68 RD250. He welded it back on for $18

Back to the oil change. I was putting my filter, and what not, back together and wondered which side of the filter the washer went on. I came in and pulled up the expolded view from Yamaha and noticed #7, the compression spring? I have a lockhart oil cooler and adapter, but no spring. Is there supposed to be one?

Could anything else go wrong w/ this oil change? Why do the simplest jobs turn into the worst
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

If you have the stock oil filter pan thingie, the spring goes to the bottom, washer on top, then oil filter... and the whole assy. goes to the oil cooler assy.
    If I remember correctly that is....

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

...you remember correctly!

Comment

Re: Murphy's Law on oil changes

Yes there is supposed to be one on the OEM adaptor. Housing fits on the bottom like normal. Quit asking "What else could go wrong!" (Plenty could. :-))

Originally posted by 81xsproject
        (snip) I have a lockhart oil cooler and adapter, but no spring. Is there supposed to be one?

Could anything else go wrong w/ this oil change? Why do the simplest jobs turn into the worst
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Yeah like my last oil change where i rounded the nut on the filter housing bolt, and still havent got the bolt out yet.

I will cut the head off the bolt and use the new (used) one I got from andreawiess on next oil change.
          '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

Could anything else go wrong w/ this oil change?
            O.. Yeaa... Lots could still go wrong... The bike could fall over,,,, ya could forget to put oil in,, and start it. This is stuff that Murphy told me.. You could even spill your beer while reaching for a wrench...
            S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
            1-big XS patch
            1-small XS/XJ patch
            1-XS/XJ owners pin.
            1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
            2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
            1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
            1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

wwwwoe... I maybe a little irresponsable and reckless at times, but I would NEVER SPILL MY BEER!

Called down to Yamarobber to see if the had the spring in stock, but screwed up and gave the number for the spring inside the filter bolt, which they had in stock. Got down there and looked at the spring and sayed that's not it. Looked up the right spring, which, of course, they did not have in stock, and ordered it. Sayed it would take a WEEK to get there. That is the last time I have them order something I could get off the net.

Oh well, it's raining here anyway. Just gives me time to do a lot of other stuff I been putting off
              '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Sheeee-it! I would have tried to use a spring out of a flashlight for that! It is hard to believe they had a spring for the filter bolt!

Originally posted by 81xsproject
                Looked up the right spring, which, of course, they did not have in stock, and ordered it. Sayed it would take a WEEK to get there. That is the last time I have them order something I could get off the net.
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Yep, the trouble is, when you are on your back, there is no escaping that flow comming at you on the garage floor.

Originally posted by Czekus21

You could even spill your beer while reaching for a wrench...
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

Working...
                  X