finding parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finding parts

hello all , i'm new to the site. i just got my 1979 xs1100 special on sat. and it needs some repair. so my question is this , where is the best place to find parts?
    i need lights, ignition and mirrors and just other general things
    any help would be great
    thanks
    Scott Heaston

Hey there Scott,

Welcome to the Xsive world of Xs11's! I hope you'll take some time and peruse the many sections of this web site, there's lots of information to be had for the looking, from basic maintanance to repairs and even "LINKS" to places to find parts.

Ebay is a good place to start, especially IF you really need a new Ignition box! However, there are ways to check it and the related components to determine what's truly failed, from the coils, to just a bad LOW battery, to Fuses...the holders are notorious for breaking, fuses can look good, but be bad,etc.! The solder joints on the TCI...Transistorized Controlled Ignition, we don't have a CDI! The pickup coil wires can get broken or provide intermittent continuity causing a problematic ignition circuit! IF the battery is too low, there's not enough juice to fire up the transistors and such inside the TCI!

Aside from Ebay, Mike's XS is another good source for mirrors and lights, they sell 650 parts, but many are fully interchangeable with the XS11. Bike bandit, Partsnmore, and there are several others....you'll find references to them in the LINK's sections among many others! Good luck in getting it road worthy.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hi 90spectrum

I'm kinda new to the XS1100 also. Your local Yamaha dealer will get you some parts, sometimes, but at premium prices too.

Learn the search feature on this site and you can find just about anything techno. Recently bought carb parts from Mike's XS and a valve tool from Partsnmore, local bike shop is where I got some valve shims and valve cover gasket. All about half price or less than what Yamaha was charging.

Have found only two XS1100 in "junk" yards, but both had no useable parts and carcases were FUBARed.

good luck and welcome to XS'es

mro

Comment

The vast majority of cosmetic parts on my bike now came from Ebay. You can get some really good deals if your patient.
        80 XS1100SG
        81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Working...
        X