Electrical Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Problem

Just bought a '79 XS1100F and am having the following electrical problems: no horn, brake light, directionals, gas gauge and control panel lights. Checked fuse box and all are fine. I do not have wiring diagrams but will probably begin checking all connectors. Any suggestions on where to start? Thanks in advance for any help.

i was having the same problem and i went out and bought new 15 amp and 7.5 amps and replaced all them and all my stuff started working so you might want to try that first because some times the fuse can look good but it will be bad
    79 yamaha xs1100f standard
    best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Comment

Thanks bandet! Great suggestion. I also recieved a link to a wiring diagram. What a great site! I'll be sure to post the fix.

Thanks again,
      Emmanuel

Comment

I would tend to agree with Bandet, looks may be deceiving. In addition, I would also suggest that maybe you take a peek at the integrity and cleanliness of the fuse holder/s and the wiring connections to the fuse holder/s.

Aren't wiring problems fun
        "ride to be visible but pretend you're invisible"
        84xj1100
        82xj1100

Comment

Those old glass fuses are notorious for looking good when they are defective. You need to remove them from the holder and tug at the endcaps to make sure they haven't broken loose. This also gives you a much better read on the condition of the clips. In fact, be prepared to have one or more of the clips break when you remove or try to replace a fuse. There's a good article in the tech section on replacing the fuse block with some new technology.
          Ken Talbot

Comment

You all hit the nail on the head. Was tinkering with the fuse block this afternoon and wouldn't you know it, the darned signal light fuse holder (top half) fell apart in my hand as I pulled the fuse out. Seconds later, the bottom crumbled as well. Apparently the fuse is still good however there was not enough pressure on the clips to make sufficient contact. Just got back from Radio Shack but no joy on a replacement. That's when I read Ken's post. I worked a McGiver on the remaining sections of clip for now by crimping the tang and securing with electrical tape. I will definately seek out the replacement for the fuse block as I fear it's just a matter of time before the rest of the fuse holders do the same. Thanks again to all for all. You guys have been great!

Emmanuel

Comment

emegos

you can get the new style fuse holders at any auto parts store.(almost that is ) auto zone has them as well as napa,and a few others roughly 5-20 bucks depending on what eXSactly you get,4 fuse 5 fuse 6 fuse etc. etc.well worth the time and effort!
              1982 XJ 1100
              going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
              now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Search! Search!

Do a search for "fuse block"! Lots of "how to" info available.

Go here, to Randy's web site - he has a complete step by step procedure under "resto tips".

http://home.ptd.net/~theragos/xs11/xs_resto_tips.htm
                Rick
                '80 SG
                '88 FXR
                '66 Spitfire MK II

Comment

Originally posted by emagos
                  You all hit the nail on the head. Was tinkering with the fuse block this afternoon and wouldn't you know it, the darned signal light fuse holder (top half) fell apart in my hand as I pulled the fuse out. Seconds later, the bottom crumbled as well. Apparently the fuse is still good however there was not enough pressure on the clips to make sufficient contact. Just got back from Radio Shack but no joy on a replacement. That's when I read Ken's post. I worked a McGiver on the remaining sections of clip for now by crimping the tang and securing with electrical tape. I will definately seek out the replacement for the fuse block as I fear it's just a matter of time before the rest of the fuse holders do the same. Thanks again to all for all. You guys have been great!

Emmanuel
                  You're gonna have to replace the fuse block but you could have bought a single fuse holder at Radio Shack and wired it in to the fuse block and had the sig, gauge and brake lights up and working. I've done it on other old Yammies as a temporary fix until I could replace the whole fuse block.
                  Shiny side up,
                  650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                  XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                  X