Oil cooler question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil cooler question

I'm a newbie here so forgive me if i've posted in the wrong forum.I currentely own a 1979 xs 1100 s I love the bike to death.My one problem is the oil cooler the lines were seaping so i have removed the whole unit....What i need to know is can i take the fitting out of the bottom end and thread in bolts to stop the flow of the oil.I live in a climate where i can't see any real need for a cooler and perfer the look of it without it...Will this affect performance of the bike.....Any info would be greatly appreciated....

Hi Scott, and welcome.

Your bike should do fine without the oil cooler. Not sure where your fitting is, but you could match the thread and depth with a bolt to cap it off.

I bet someone from a hotter climate will be interested in your 'leftovers'
    Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

So just to reiterate there will be no damage done to the motor if i proceed with this avenue??? Thanx alot Mike for the quick responce!!! As well have you heard of anyone else doing this???

Comment

No damage due to removing oil cooler, that's right. Some time back, Gary LaPook I think it was, installed a cylinder head temp gauge (aviation) on his xs to measure head temp, and found it to be well within limits. An overwhelming majority of xs's have no oil cooler.

You could damage threads or such if you use the wrong bolt to plug off the places where the cooler picked up its oil flow

A friend of mine removed the oil cooler from his SF, he kept having to cover it with tin foil during cool months because his motor was staying too cool. He sold the bike, sorry I can't go look at it for you.

Maybe someone else with hands-on knowledge of the fittings/bolts will chime in here...

Comment

I have a Lockhart oil cooler. You do not want to plug the holes where the lines go in the adapter plate. You need to remove the adapter plate (above oil filter). You have to remove the whole setup, not just the hoses and finned cooler. On mine if you removed the hoses and plugged them, you would starve the engine for oil. My advice is take it all off or just replace the hoses. Use high pressure transmisson cooler hoses avalible at any parts store. There is a lockhart like mine on ebay right now, which has picures of the cooler, and the adapter plate. maybe you can post pics of your setup, if it is different than the Lockhart one.
          Bill Woods
          1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
          1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
          2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

Way to go Bill. I knew I was missing something...

So the cooler picks up flow from an adaptor plate (in and out?)... did the stock (limited release) xs cooler do the same?

Comment

c:\windows\desktop\1-3_b.jpg

here is a picture of the lockhart oil cooler adapter. If the pics does not work, here is the ebay listing with pictures http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...852298351&rd=1
              good luck
              Bill Woods
              1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
              1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
              2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

adapter plate removal

i have a stock oil cooler. there is an adapter plate that sits 'on top' of the oil filter housing. a large bolt, threaded inside and out, is used to tighten the adapter plate to the motor where the filter housing normally fits. then the stock filter bolt threads into that, mounting the filter housing as normal.

remove filter housing, remove the adapter plate bolt, replace filter housing and yer good to go!

as mike mentioned, the cooler assembly is worth some bucks to the right people. mine has about 200 parts, so be careful you get them all!
                - dan
                - thinker57@lycos.com
                - SF/H/E/HD "Stray Bullet"

Comment

One could bypass the oil cooler by running the apporpriate type/size of hose from the outlet to the inlet on the adapter (if your unit has the adapter sandwiched between the engine and the oil filter cover).
                  I carry an extra foot of oil line for "just in case" I might need to do this on trips.
                  Pat Kelly
                  <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                  1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                  2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                  1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                  1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                  1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

That was my oil cooler on eBay. I removed it to fit the SuperTrapp, and since I live on Vancouver Island, it was not necessary.

As advised in one of the above posts, you will need to remove the entire plate, by undoing the bolt in the center (after taking off the filter housing and filter). That bolt stays with the cooler, if you are going to sell it. Once you remove the cooler plate, you should consider replacing the old filter (Fram CH6002 is better deal than Yamaha...cheaper and includes a new seal, which will go on top of the filter housing. The filter housing bolts back up to the engine block; be sure to put the spring UNDER the filter before installing the filter housing.

There are always people looking for oil coolers, and eBay is a good venue to sell it. Mine sold for US$61, which is a reasonable deal for both parties. Be sure to mention in your description, to any prospective buyer, about the hose problem. Honesty is a great way to keep friends!
                    Norm Willey
                    94 BMW K75RT
                    nwilley@shaw.ca

Comment

You have lost me on the adapter plate...Does someone have pix of this.What if i was to run a braided line from one fitting to the next would this solve my flow to both sides of the motor prob???Bear in mind this is a new thing for me so please be kind!!!Btw i have a lockhart oil cooler setup if this info helps at all.... thanx for all the help......

Comment

Bill Woods ebay link shows pics. If you want to get rid of the oil cooler, get rid of the adapter too. It's between your oil filter and the engine.

Comment

O.K i think i gotcha on this matter i'm gonna go look it over on the bike alittle more throughly and see what i come up with...BTW you own a bandit Mike??? I'm thinkin that or the zrx 12 is my next toy....any suggsetions(Off topic I know but if you would post elsewhere i would muchly appreciate it).....Big fan of the stripdown streetfighters!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The ZRX1200 is probably the best stock UJM streetfighter (this year's model), but you can get a used Bandit for a lot less. If you'd care to discuss it, start a thread in Other Bikes forum! See the Bandit thread for pix of Bandits belonging to Gary, Johnny, and myself.

Let us know what you discover about your oil cooler. If you take out the adapter, save the bolt to go with, sell it on ebay or on xs11.com.

Comment

I haven't dropped the pipes so i can't really see what is holding the adapter/oil filter housing in place...My question is there a differrnce in the bolt size after the adapter is removed shorter perhaps???Could i run a braided line from one fitting to the next without disturbing the adapter setup.Basically tricking the setup out to make it work without mesing with the adapter???

Comment

Working...
                              X