starter engagement problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter engagement problem

Any ideas about a starter that doesn't engage properly? The starter motor always spins, but sometimes it doesn't engage with the crank, or other times it starts to engage the crank and the bike starts turning over but then it slips and just free wheels. Makes starting kind of a pain

Dan
    Home of ENIAC

Kinda like a MANIAC with 2 letters difference & a computer on board

doesn't say where you are

but mine works great all summer
    when the weather turns cold, it acts up as you describe

but i'm talking 20 or less degrees
    http://home.securespeed.us/~xswilly/
    78E main ride, since birth the "good"
    78E Parts, the "bad" fixing up now
    78E Parts the "ugly" maybe next year
    79F Parts
    80G Parts
    75 DT 400B enduro

Comment

starter engagement problem

Sounds like a little dirt or corrosion on starter shaft (clean under gear too!)

mro

Comment

when the weather turns cold, it acts up as you describe

grease on starter shaft? can freeze.

mro

Comment

"Hey Pal... you wanna start sumptin?"

These starters are not like car starters. Car starters have a solinoid that, when turning, pushes the gear forward to engage the flywheel. Bike starters... the gear is permanently attached to the starter shaft, and doesn't move in and out, just spins with the starter shaft. As your starter here always spins... it is good. Prob is with the starter clutch mechanism. The gear from the starter is always engage with the starter clutch. This is a one-way spinnin' gizmo. When the starter turns, it's gear spins the starter clutch on the crank, turnin' the engine. When the engine fires, the crank then free-wheels inside the starter clutch mechanism. Your prob seems to be the starter clutch... it doesn't clamp onto and spin the crank, or it starts to, and then lets the crank slip. Replacing the starter clutch is easy once you've taken the engine out and removed the top half of the case. (Not that you wanted to hear that) On a positive note: There were several posts months back dealing with this. Seems that some people remedied the situation by just using a different brand of oil, or running one of those engine cleaners through it. Do a search for starter clutch and see what comes up.
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Try this

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...starter+clutch

Comment

hi prometheus578

what he said

Thanks for the correction. Think I'll keep my advise to myself now.
              Cleaned my carbs and thought, I'm a mc tech lol

mro

Comment

"My mouth runneth over..."

No MRO... keep flappin' your gums. That's the only way I learn things. Wasn't too long ago that I said, "Starter clutch.. starter clutch... what the hell do you mean starter clutch. Starters don't have clutchs, you idiot!" I've learned quit a bit from being corrected on "all that I think I know."

Comment

"My mouth runneth over..."

First rule when trouble shooting.
                  Don’t assume, check!!

Never pulled starter on xs.
                  From out side, saw small diameter, just thought it used centrifugal clutch
                  (basic air cooled engine starter.. spring to hold gear in when not in use and elongated spiral groove to thrust gear out to contact fly wheel when spun).

Mouth engaged before brain in gear (or starter!??),
                  or in this case fingers

mro

Comment

I think you might have to split the cases for a starter gear problem that's not related to solenoids, motors and such.
                    "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

"First rule when trouble shooting. Don't assume, check!"

From out side, saw small diameter, just thought it used centrifugal clutch
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
                      — Sherlock Holmes

(Would have made a good mechanic)

Comment

Working...
                      X