Key lock on side cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key lock on side cover

Anyone ever had their key lock on the left side cover jam? I have a (rare) left side side cover that still works properly, which is to say the little tab has not been broken off. I am trying to get the battery out and I can't get the key in all the way. It won't seat to open the lock. It goes in about half way as far as it should and then stops. I broke my spare key trying to jam it in there (yes, I did get it out, and paid $8 for a new blank). I'd really like this to keep working and to not break the side cover in the process. Any thoughts?

(It is not frozen, it's forty degrees here, and I ran a blow dryer on it for half an hour just to make sure)

Mike
    The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Psalm 19:1

Sounds like it needs a good cleaning and lubrication. Maybe squirt some WD40 in there to start breaking-down any rust.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

The ignition key only goes part of the way into the sidecover lock. it never goes all the way in. If it is hard to turn, try pressing in on the sidcover to take the tension off of the lock mechanism. IIRC, the key turns right to unlock, but it still shouldn't take a lot of force. Try turning left _gently_ if right doesn't work.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

.. if you want to just get the side cover off the bike and address the key problem with the lock off of the bike, you can remove the side cover with a small flat blade screw driver by sticking it into the front side of the hole, in front of the side cover tab and just move the catch forward while pulling out on the cover
        .. it is just as easy as it sounds, but it might take you a minute the first couple of times you do it

Comment

Also if you turn the key and the sidecover doens't pop out, push in on the bottom of the sidecover and it will release. It sounds backwards but it works.

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

The sidecover seems to be jammed in there. Knowing that the key only goes in halfway helps immensely, as I can now tell that it is turning, it just won't go all the way to the click to open. I know that to release the tension you have to push in on it, but the tab is just in there fairly solidly. I took a board on end and hit the tab several times (cheap man's wooden mallet) straight in to loosen it up, which seemed to have a slight effect, but not nearly enough. As I recall on that, you can actually push the bottom in with some play on it (or I think I used to be able to) but now there is almost no play in it except the titch (technical term, less than a mm) that I created with my "mallet." I'm really afraid to break off another key, as I'm already putting too much pressure on it. One reply caught my eye but I can't figure out how to do it, that is to release the catch with a small screwdriver. I can't figure out where to get on that. Perhaps if I can just get it out, I can see why it jammed. I always loved that key controlled side cover, help me save 'er boys!
            The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Psalm 19:1

Comment

Hey Mike,

I too had trouble understanding GNEPIG’s technique, so I went down and tried it myself. First, I’m talking about a Special here - don’t know if Standards are the same. On mine, the key only turns clockwise (or towards you if viewed from the left). As noted, the key only goes in about half way, and only rotates ¼ turn total, which moves the latch holding the tab backwards to the rear of the bike.

With the cover on, as GNEPIG notes, put the blade of a SMALL screwdriver (I used 1/8”) in the back side of the hole where the tab goes into the lock. Then gently twist the screwdriver; the blade should cause the latch to move back enough to release the tab. Fiddle with it as needed - it does work.
              Rick
              '80 SG
              '88 FXR
              '66 Spitfire MK II

Comment

SUCCESS!

I am still not able to understand that technique to loosen the lock with a screwdriver, but poking around in there and trying solved my problem. When I put a screwdriver in the backside of that hole and tried to turn it, I began to scrape out all kinds of crud, which looked like battery corrosion-- white flaky gunk. Since it's under the battery, a distinct possibility. After I got a bunch out, I hit it with 150 lbs of compressed air and tried the key and it worked. I got the sidecover off without damage, cleaned up inside that hole and blew out all the crud. Then I got the battery out where it will stay warm until March or so.

Thank you to everyone on this list, once again, your support, knowledge and expertise along with a willingness to share have saved the day. I can't tell you how much money you've saved me, but by now it's in the thousands. Thank you.

Mike

Comment

Congrats. Always good to hear a success story!

Perhaps the presence of battery corroded junk in there indicates that your vent tube isn’t properly connected, or routed? That’s important, as vent fumes from the battery can eat at the paint, chrome, etc. -

There’s a routing diagram on the inside of that side cover (at least on mine).
                  Rick
                  '80 SG
                  '88 FXR
                  '66 Spitfire MK II

Comment

In case anyone needs a used working left sidecover lock with key I have 2-3 in parts pile. andreashweiss@yahoo.com also some sidecovers with good lock tabs . thanx

Comment

also some sidecovers with good lock tabs . thanx
                      .. do you have a right side cover for a 79 standard?

Comment

Just the left one for standard. Match pair for 79 special and one right 81h sidecover.

Comment

you can remove the side cover with a small flat blade screw driver by sticking it into the front side of the hole, in front of the side cover tab and just move the catch forward while pulling out on the cover
                          .. sorry, i just noticed that i said this wrong, the latch is on the right side of the tab, just like fxrer has stated

andreashweiss, thanx for looking/response

Comment

Working...
                          X