Rusty Diaphram cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty Diaphram cover

I have a couple diaphram covers that are rusty and covered with some sort of white material on the underside. Should I be concerned about that and if so what is recommended for cleaning it? I tried carb cleaner but that didn't work very well.

Also, what can be used to clean the diaphram itself? Thanks.
    80 XS11 SG
    79 XS750 SF
    74 KZ400
    78 KZ650
    78 KZ750

The diaphram covers are cromed steel, so you can use crome polish to clean them. If you want, use fine wet/dry paper and then paint on the outside.
    The diaphram itself should not need cleaning. If id does, I would try brake fluid on it. as it's rubber, the wrong cleaner can ruin it. The tech tips on the left have a lot of the information you are looking for. If you spend about 30 min. looking them over, you should have all the information you need BEFORE doing a repair or cleaning.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Actually, it is more likely that only your two outboard covers are chromed and are in good shape. Yamaha didn't bother to chrome the inboard covers, I guess because they don't show as much. You can get pretty aggressive with wire brushes or sandblasting to get rid of the corrosion. Paint them up with some silver paint and you'll be ready to go..
      Ken Talbot

Comment

Thanks for the info but maybe I wasn't very clear in my post. The rust and corrosion is on the interior of the cover not on the outside. It wasn't until I removed the cover from the carb that I noticed the problem. There also seems to be some rust down in the bottom of the slide as well.
        80 XS11 SG
        79 XS750 SF
        74 KZ400
        78 KZ650
        78 KZ750

Comment

Is that set of carbs from Colorado? It is so dry and salt-free here. Ill just bet that any rust in the carbs came from the steel gas tank. If you are going to take the time at going through those carbs, think about lining the tank or at least use in-line filters to catch the bigger rust particals.

QUOTE]Originally posted by CUBuffs
          Thanks for the info but maybe I wasn't very clear in my post. The rust and corrosion is on the interior of the cover not on the outside. It wasn't until I removed the cover from the carb that I noticed the problem. There also seems to be some rust down in the bottom of the slide as well. [/QUOTE]
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Hey Skids, thanks for the reply. I purchased the bike in Iowa City but don't know the bike's history.

What's interesting is that only the #2 & 3 carbs had the rust problem inside. However I did notice that all the float bowls had small deposits of what appeared to be rust leftover in the bottom. I plan on taking the tank to a radiator shop to have it cleaned out.
            80 XS11 SG
            79 XS750 SF
            74 KZ400
            78 KZ650
            78 KZ750

Comment

Originally posted by CUBuffs
              The rust and corrosion is on the interior of the cover not on the outside.
              That doesn't change things much. You can still wire brush the $@#% out of them to cleam them up, but you probably won't need or want to paint the inside. Concern about it being there in the first place - sure, but not for long. It's anybody's guess how it got there, and it really doesn't matter at this stage, expect for the fact that this might be an indicator you carbs are due for a good, throrough overall cleaning. If you've got corrosion in there, who knows what other bits of spooge might be lurking in the various wee orifices.
              Ken Talbot

Comment

I'm thinking that what you're see as rust is deposits from the gas. There is a red residue in my float bowls whenever I take the carbs apart.
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Pat, thanks for the info. That makes me feel better.
                  80 XS11 SG
                  79 XS750 SF
                  74 KZ400
                  78 KZ650
                  78 KZ750

Comment

It was mentioned in an earlier post to use brake fluid to clean the diaphrams. I wouldn't. Brake fluid can swell rubber parts, especially if the rubber compound wasn't made to be compatible with b/f. You ever hear of putting brake fliud in a trans to stop a seal from leaking? It works...for a while, then the seal goes away. Brake parts are fomulated to be in contact with the fluid, but carb parts aren't. I would try just plain ol' dish washing liquid, or maybe some Simple Green, but nothing any stronger. Diaphrams ain't cheap, should you waste one.

Comment

What about using Armorall or Son of a Gun?
                      80 XS11 SG
                      79 XS750 SF
                      74 KZ400
                      78 KZ650
                      78 KZ750

Comment

I have heard that Armorall will actually deteriorate the rubber over time. I don't how true that is. Maybe do a little web search for a good rubber treatment product.

Comment

Working...
                        X