Nice Find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2H7

2H7 serial # is without a doubt a 78 Standard......my 79 Special though manufactured in late 78 is a Canadian model....with the serial # starting with a 3...............
    Bruce
    78XS1100 Alpha
    79XS1100 Special, parked
    Bruce Doucette
    Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

How do i get the gas cap open to rekey it?

Nothing to do w/gas cap, but

yesterday morning got a call from a girl friend. She locked herself out of her house. All windows locked, garage locked and sliding door in back had stick in track.

Lucky dead bolt not locked. Used 18 inch pipe wrench to remove handle (about 1 second)

Then used handle of pipe wrench to punch out center of lock. Cheep lock, only 6 raps and door opened.

Think I could be a Lock Smith?!

mro

Comment

"Oh poop! I've locked myself out."

sliding door in back had stick in track.
        Stick in the track stops the door from sliding open, but doesn't prevent one from grabbing the door and lifting it offa the track and removing it. (the reverse of it's installation. slide door up into upper track, position it, and then drop it down into lower track) There's usually an inch clearance in the upper track between the top of the door, and the inner top of the track. Measure where the top of the sliding door is, and then screw several sheet metal screws through the side of the track above the door top to prevent other's from lifting it out. Of course, this also prevents YOU from lifting it out the next time you're clueless and keyless.
        Hide a spare key under a piece of fake dog poop in the back yard. I've got two German-American Shepherds,(how PC of me!) so it camouflages nicely. ( I just keep grabbing the wrong pile in the dark!)
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Till i get a key what wires do i connect to make the bike start so i can get the motor checked out? Not worried about the lights. Also how do you get a valve unstuck without pulling the head? I put on the kick starter and turned the motor over very slow a couple of kicks on the lever and it stopped hard like a piston hit a valve. And can i put it in 5th gear and turn the wheel backwards and back up the motor away from the valve?
          Thanks prometheus578 for the way to loosen the brake calipers works great.

Thanks Tom
          82 XJ1100 DAILY RIDE
          79 XS1100F NEW PROJECT
          81 XV750 NEW PROJECT
          Thanks Tom
          82 XJ DAILY RIDE
          78 XS1100E FIXING UP
          79 XS1100F PARTS BIKE
          79 XS1100SF NAKED BIKE
          80 XS1100SG FULL DRESS BIKE
          82 XJ IN THE ROUGH

Comment

Hey Tom,

IF a valve is stuck, and you've already hit it with the piston, you've probably already bent it!? AND, if it's stuck open due to extreme rust buildup around the shaft below the valve head due to being in the open position and then exposed to the elements for a long time, good chance you've got rust in the cylinders as well. You're probably in for removing the head afterall, to pull the valve and clean up the rust around it's shaft enough to possibly fit back into the head, but more likely you'll need to get a replacement, the roughened edges of the valve shaft may damage the valve guide??

You should be able to turn the engine backwards as you described, or you could take off the left timing cover, and put a wrench on the square fitting of the timing plate, turning it CCW from that side IS backwards of the normal engine rotation!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
            X