Hard to start and fuel issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard to start and fuel issues.

Back to ask another couple of questions, I've only had my '79 XS11 for a couple of days now having moved from the '79 goldwing.

When the bike is cold (30 mins sitting or overnight) I am having a very hard time getting the bike started. Could someone give me the correct procedure for starting? I've tried not giving it any gas, twisting it a few times and various combo's of that.

Also when on the highway today after only 150klms I noticed the bike was struggling for fuel so I pulled over to the side of the road to see what was up, the engine died completly at this point. There is lots of gas in the tank etc, but will not start. I switch the tank into reverve and still won't start so I move it to PRI and it started right up and got me home the other 150 Klms without further problems, but It's still set to PRI. Could someone please try to explain what's going on?
    1979 XS1100 - "Blue Belle"

Bad vacuum to the petcocks (if standard) or bad diaphrams in the petcocks.

If a special, then bad vacuum to the octopus or a bad diaphram.

In short, these are vacuum operated valves, and yours are turning off for some reason. Prime bypasses the vacuum operation and just turns them on.

Do not leave sitting in "prime" position, if your floats or needle valves in the carbs are not right, all the gas will drain through the carbs, and all over the floor or into the oil (bad).

Check the vacuum lines, and get a rebuild kit for your petcocks, octopus.

Good luck.
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

So if I remember to move everything back to the normal setting when I'm not riding will I be causing any problems? Just to get me through until the winter months.

Comment

Yah, should be OK. Prime uses gas from the reserve level, so you will have no reserve.

Petcock rebuild kit is about $30, K&H? K&N? Cannot remember . . . but usually in stock at your dealer . . .has enough parts for both and the octopus in the special . . . don't know about the standard kit.

Only about a 45 minute rebuild job . . . takes more time to pull the seat and tank then to do the job.
        CUAgain,
        Daniel Meyer
        Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
        Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

starting problems

As for the difficult starting when "cold"....use the choke without twisting the throttle. I have a 79 XS Standard and even in the summertime I sometimes have to choke it some to start it. There are 3 choke positions on my bike: in (for normal running), mid-way, & full (all the way out for cold starting). Hope this helps.
          I'm the Person my Parents Warned me about.

Comment

K&L makes the petcock rebuild kits.
            Gary Granger
            Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
            2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

DragonRider: Thanks, I'll check with the local dealer today and get the kit ordered.

As for using the choke during starts... I am ashamed to admit this, but I can't find it. I have the standard model as well.

Comment

choke

nuttin to be ashamed of....I was fortunate enough to get the owner's manual & original toolkit when I bought my bike. As you sit on the bike, the choke is on the left end of the carbs. Looks like a lever. Check out this post that Mike Hart posted: Blaines XS Carb FAQ. Good info there.

Comment

Blaines XS Carb FAQ

That tip is located in XS/XJ11 discussion under "new tip posted" by Mike Hart. I don't know how to do the underline thingy like he did it.

Comment

Thanks, right in front of me so to speak. That solved the cold start issues. <smile>

Comment

Working...
                    X