Midnight Special Side covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midnight Special Side covers

The side covers on my basket case LG were painted black. I have used some acetone to remove the paint from the lettering and find that they are chrome. Is this correct or were they gold and the gold has simply disappeared wih age? Same question for the tank emblems and the emblem on the forks.

Thanks a lot,

Marc

My LG has chrome sidecover emblems (Midnight Special) and the tank emblems (YAMAHA) were chrome.
    Swapped the tank emblems for gold ones I got off Ebay.
    The sidecover emblems I'm going to remove and have some vinyl decals done up in the original font but gold. The decal should make for easier cleaning and detailing. All the crevases of the stock emblems are a pain the clean.
    The emblems on the front of the bike are covered by a small cafe fairing.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Yup, that was one of Yamaha's little jokes. They did up a bike in a beautiful black and gold motif, then put chrome finish emblems on it. Why they didn't continue with the gold finish emblems from the other models is a mystery to me.

Did you also notice that they made the Standards with a rectangular headlight, rectangular signals, and round mirrors. They made the Special with a round headlight, round signals, and rectangular mirrors. Go figure...
      Ken Talbot

Comment

yeah i have noticed that whats up with round mirrors on a square front ended bike

if anybody has a good seat of tank badges in chrome and not gold i would be interested in them since those will be the only badges on my bike and the bike is going to be paint white with a blue strip down the center of the tank
        79 yamaha xs1100f standard
        best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Comment

Working...
        X