former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

"That T.C.! All bark and no bite."

I understand the choke lever thing. Nope... not broken off; completely different design. Unlike most levers... just where the lever starts to point upward, this thing sweeps forward into a large triangular tab, that I imagine one just slips their finger behind it, and flips it outward to activate. Seems to me that it was rusted-over chrome. Aftermarket chrome dress-up gadget? I need to steal my son's camera again.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

petejw
        anyone else tried drilling the sides of the pilot jets
        Some how I think your the first.

No mean feat to pop a few holes in the jet and actually have the bike run better.

mro

Comment

Drillin' for a thrillin'

PeteJW, The holes are emulsion holes, to allow air to mix with the fuel before delivery. No holes means rich mixture. Yes, drilling them would then lean it out a little. I'm of the opinion that the "no holes jets" are incorrect. But, they might be correct for Australia... having to do with fluid flow. The fuel mist would flow and spiral in a counter-clockwise fashion as you're in the southern hemisphere. Hhmmm...?

Comment

Re: "The results are in... and it doesn't look good!"

Originally posted by prometheus578
            Incredible... Just stinkin' incredible!
            Just got back from Yamaha to pick up my "confirming" pilot jet. Yamaha had discontinued the pilot jets for the E,F,SF,G,LG,and LH, so there was no way I could order one of those to see what it looks like.
            What I did order was a pilot jet for an SG,H, and SH. The old part number was superceded years ago and the new number was 4G0-14142-42-AO. I was not ready for what they gave me.
            I'm handed an N151.067 series pilot jet. (small bore, no side holes)
            I had not expected this at all. This clears nothing up!
            Until someone can find an application guide from a carb manufacturer...
            Or... people here need to check their machines and see just what's in them. Obviously, they must be stock. No high speed air filter systems or custom exhausts. No evidence that a previous owner stuck his claws in there and changed anything.
            I have an "E", 2-"F"'s, an "SF", and I think an "H" in the shed. I will pop the bowls tonight and report what I find.
            This may or may not help,but I bought my 81 SH new and only I have touched it and mine had/has #42.5 pilots with no side holes and no plugs on top.I have one set of new pilots that I've had for about 5 years and the bag is numbered 4GO-14142-42-AO.I also have a set of #45 & 47.5 pilots from Yamaha that are of same configeration ,i.e. no side holes.I have a new rack of carbs for an 80 standard and they have #42.5 pilots that are capped with rubber plugs and the pilots have side holes,but I do not recall how many holes.It is my understanding that carbs that were equipped with capped pilots that feed from the mains had pilots with side holes and those that were not capped (81 SH),did not have the pilots with side holes.
            81 Black "1179" Xcessively trick Super Special. One owner (me).

Comment

"Since when is St. Louis in the Southern Hemisphere?"

Outstanding, Dan... This is just the kind o' info I'm looking for. Original owner with original carbs. I really didn't think these bikes used the no holer. (Note how I don't admit that I was wrong... I just state that I didn't know!) Ok... so now I know that the '81 SH used the N151.067 jet.(no holes) I can only imagine that Petejw's '81 Xs1100RH (Aus) is the same model as your '81 SH.
              Now for JOHN from 23 Dec.,
              On the 80-81 carbs, the pilot jets have a direct feed from the bowl, vs the main jet feed for the pilot jets of the 78-79's. The older carbs will have a screw or a plug covering the access to the pilot jet. The newer carbs will not have anything covering the access to the pilots,
              John, my '80 "G" uses the newer BS34-III carbs, but DID have the rubber plug over the pilot jet hole. Is it possable that SOME '80's like the "G" used the rubber plug, but maybe the SG and later didn't?
              My 'puter here is too slow and can't open the Yamaha online site, so I'll have to wait till Tuesday and use the 'puter at work to check the Yamaha Schematics to check about rubber plug re: models.

Comment

I had 2 push my luck,
                i made the holes bigger
                and now it runs/off idle like it did
                b4 without the holes, like a dog,
                guess im going to have 2 fill them in and redrill them
                the way i did the first time.
                my pilots were all 40's,
                and were running rich, even with the pod filters.
                pete

new owner of
                08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                zrx carbs
                18mm float height
                145 main jets
                38 pilots
                slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

What Mikuni jet sizes mean...

Saw this posted on the XS650 list and thought I'd pass it on, a cross reference for Mikuni and Dynojet.
                  http://roadstarclinic.com/content/view/61/96/
                  Shiny side up,
                  650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                  XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Yeah but mikuni and dynojet have got it all wrong because a 1.5mm drill bit won't slide thru a 145 mikuni.

Comment

All holes are not created equal

Originally posted by pggg
                      Yeah but mikuni and dynojet have got it all wrong because a 1.5mm drill bit won't slide thru a 145 mikuni.
                      Mikuni jet's are numbered according to their fuel flow,accordingly a 145 Mikuni jet will flow 145cc's per minute but a 1.45 mm bit will not go in it.Holley carburetor jet's are also measured this way and even though some are of the exact same drill size,they do not flow equally.Dyno Jet jet's are measured differently and the number stamped on them has nothing to do with their fuel flow.
                      81 Black "1179" Xcessively trick Super Special. One owner (me).

Comment

Originally posted by pggg
                        The chart explains this pggg, Mikuni measures there jets by rate of flow.
                        Shiny side up,
                        650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                        XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                        X