Fork Seal Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork Seal Replacement

Is there a differance between the fork seals offered by P&M and the Yamabandits. At over twice the price I had to ask. While I'm in here is there anything else that should be replaced, guides ect?
    wingnut
    81 SH (Daily Ride)
    81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
    81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
    82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
    81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Check the tech tips, and do a search. I seem to recall some problems with one brand of aftermarket seals. I know the Yamarobber seals work well, and I have had problems with aftermarket seals myself. I will be putting in the OEM seals on daily ride early spring.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

how hard are the seals to change out since i need new ones and the shop wants to charge me 450 to do it
      79 yamaha xs1100f standard
      best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Comment

Fork seals on an 11 are by far the easist I have ever done, and my list of fork seal replacement is extensive. Check the service tips and they will guide you thru this. The "special tool" can be made out of a common bolt. Make sure you take the time to clean everything well and add the right amount of the correct oil.
        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Geez, that's bogus!

the shop wants to charge me 450 to do it
          We usually say about $150.
          (Ummm... you wouldn't know if they're hiring, would you?)
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Better still...

If you don't feel like doing the job... take the forks off yourself and bring just them to the shop to get 'em done. Price should drop by half, I would expect.

Comment

i mean if is aint a hrad job to do i will do it myself but i about flipped when they told me that i mean i am going ot have to get it dont one seal is so bad it aint funny and i want to replace the seals and put the tkat brace on at the same time so i have a way to tie it down at the track

Comment

Actually, it's a rather simple, but messy, job. Only tough thing you could run into is the bottom hex bolt if it sticks and you don't have an air impact gun. Lotta good posts on changing fork seals recently, too.

Comment

Pretty easy

Had them off the bike and torn down in about an hour. Made a mess with the old fork oil and have some clean up and polish to do so I'm guessing about 3 hours for this first timer.
                  wingnut
                  81 SH (Daily Ride)
                  81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

ok that aint to bad so what are all the parts i will need when i go to change the fork seals so i dont get half way threw and not have something and not be able to finsh the job

Comment

What he said

I looked thru the threads on the site after a search under "fork seals" and didn't find any mention of fork parts that should be replaced while I'm in there so thats why I did this post. Sounds like I'll do an inspection of all the parts when I get them cleaned up and replace what I don't like the look of or those I don't like the look of and can still get if you know what I mean
                      wingnut
                      81 SH (Daily Ride)
                      81 XS 400

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

sounds good wing nnut and i pmed you about that bike

Comment

Working...
                        X