Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil filter ????

Hi Guys,
    The 79 xs 11 F is my first bike so forgive my ignorant questions.
    Clymer is currently reprinting and revising there manual so I'm stuck for now. I would like to change the oil. Where is the oil filter? and how much and which oil should I use? for a 79 xs1100F.
    Thank you guys now and for all your help in the past.

P.S. Passed the MSF class and recived my class M yesterday.
    Today was my First time out on the highway wooooooo. Love it.
    Last edited by 79XS11; 08-23-2002, 02:14 PM.

Oil filter is under a round aluminum cover on the bottom center-front of the engine. One bolt in the center of it. Be sure and line up the small tits on the cover when you put it back on.

You can also get the manual from Yamaha, takes them a while and costs about $50.

Also, check Ebay.

I think it holds 3.9 quarts, but just watch the sight glass as you fill it . . . right side of the engine by the brake lever . . . there are marks for highest and lowest. Have the bike on the center stand.
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

The oil filter is in the cylindrical finned housing at the front of the oilpan, note the order the pieces come out in (spring, washer, etc). If you forget, see this tech tip

You can get OEM filter, or Fram CH6002 also comes with the necessary o-rings.

Quantity should be stamped on your engine right by the oil filler. I use Delvac, Rotella, or Castrol GTX 20-50. The sight glass (under the oil filler) shows the max and min oil level.
      Don't overfill it, the crankcase breather will blow it into your airbox.

Congrats on passing the MSF course, very sensible!
      Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Other filter Choices

STP also makes a filter: SMO-02 for the XS incase you can't find the Fram, or wan't another brand!
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

got a book

I have a manual for the bike you are working on. It is the original Yamaha XS 1100 F manual. I can send it to you for $10.00 plus shipping. Let me know.

deo
          82 XJ1100 "Resurrected"
          Riding with the Son

Comment

It's nice to see someone just as clueless as myself (no offense intended), but I just bought my first bike 26 Aug 02. I am slowly learning things from this web site, and it just fascinates me how many of these XS's are still out there on the roads. I just picked up a manual from the local Yamaha shop, and I haven't put it down for long yet. The bike seems to be in pretty good shape(XS1100F) I do have to do some work before I will take it for a test drive. It doesn't idle, and I have fuel flowing from the breather. I'm going to attempt a carburator cleaning and see if this will help. Last I heard it had been parked in the weather for about three months. It was running before it was parked. Anyway, I am looking forward to getting on the road in the near future, Thanks everyone for a wonderful and informative site, in the mean time I will be checking this site almost daily.

Dupman

Comment

Sounds like you're off to a good start. You can find carb kits for $10 each and oil filters for $4 at www.partsnmoreonline.com - lots of other parts and free shipping too.
              Bill Murrin
              Nashville, TN
              1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
              1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
              2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
              2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
              1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
              2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Working...
              X