No announcement yet.

D.I.Y. nitrous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actual gas volume inhaled each breath at 100 ft (5, 6 times of what would be at sea level)

gases are still compressed in lungs.
    coming up too fast (gas expands) forms inert gas bubbles in the body.
    The bends

Go down deep enough helium/oxygen/nitrogen all become toxic

I’ve only snorkeled, free dived in Florida and Belize
    and I don’t jump outa perfectly good airplanes.
    Do drive a little fast sometimes

mro

Comment

Ain't it amazing the amount of arcane knowledge there is on this forum? You guys are freakin' awesome.
      Shiny side up,
      650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
      XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

mro, The pressure difference is about 15 psi per 33' of depth. 15 psi is the pressure at sea level, and you can get the bends, or die, by holding your breath from 8' deep.
        I did jump out of airplanes (82nd airborne)
        I've been a PADI Divemaster for over 20 years,
        And I almost always ride fast
        Ray
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Arcane knowledge

There you go, I rest my case.
          Shiny side up,
          650 Mike

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Just to clarify I wasn't suggesting that nitrous was used in diving gear, but that diving gas was made form similar gases to normal air but mixed at different ratios in a similar way to how nitrous is used for making power. Also the guy that told me two lungfulls of nitrous would kill you was a medical gases officer at a famous UK hospital. I guess I could have misunderstood him.

Comment

Originally posted by turbopete
              ...the guy that told me two lungfulls of nitrous would kill you was a medical gases officer at a famous UK hospital. I guess I could have misunderstood him.
              Or he just might have meant to discourage you from inhaling laughing gas for "cheap thrills".
              Shiny side up,
              650 Mike

Comment

Working...
              X