No announcement yet.

D.I.Y. nitrous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah that was somnething i was woundering about is the turbo lag but it would be ok on a drag and a everyday bike since you dont want to make boost well launching the bike but down track is where you want it to come into all the boost and as a everyday bike you wouldnt want to run all boost much anyways
    79 yamaha xs1100f standard
    best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Comment

From what I've checked out, nitrous need not be as extreme as all the armchair experts claim. Don't believe all the doom and gloom. Seems to get a bad rap because dimwits have their units set up to deliver the maximum boost they can get. Same as running a turbo at 30lbs boost all the time. Blowing motors like they're out of fashion. Simply toning down the flow with moderate sized jets equals safety and reliability. Noticed there's reasonably priced N2O kits on U.S. ebay. I reckon it'd be no problem to tweak one to fit a 4 cylinder bike.

BTW, there's no turbo lag if you have BOTH turbo and N2O.

Comment

true i was thinking of a little shot of bottle with the turbo so i didnt have no lag but i would buy a kit from a well know company instead of tring to piece one together i mean i would only run 10 psi on the turbo and a 20 shot of the bottle and i would say that would be pretty safe set up and good for a low 11 high 10 second pass

Comment

.. has anyone heard of the company called Aerocharger
          they have a niffty turbo system that has a veriable vain, the turbo stays spooled up all the time, no lag, boost when you want

Comment

nope never heard of them but do you know of any companys still in bussniess that makes a whole kit for the xs1100

Comment

.. nope ..

Comment

well that just sucks i mean a whole kit would be awsome and i think it would sell but i mean it is a old bike and not to many around anymore so parts are going to start to be hard to find

Comment

Something I read many years ago.
                  Plumb the NOS into the turbo. The shot of NOS (and fuel) on the anes of the tubo gets it spinning sooner eliminating the lag.
                  That turbo on Ebay a whle back looked to be realy good, with the turbo runing to a manifold just behind the cylinders (where the bank of carbs usually sits). Then a draw-thru carb on the one side.
                  Pat Kelly
                  <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                  1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                  2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                  1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                  1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                  1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

yeah that was a nice setup to bad nobody on the site got it because the guy ended the action and sold it out right in his shop

Comment

Originally posted by GNEPIG
                      .. has anyone heard of the company called Aerocharger
                      they have a niffty turbo system that has a veriable vain, the turbo stays spooled up all the time, no lag, boost when you want
                      The VNT turbo doesn't stay spooled up al the time, rather tha VNT system alters the A/R ratio of the turbine to provide higher or lower backpressure making for very fast spooling. I have a garrett VNT here. It will start spooling from idle. They are tricky to set up. They also don't like the high exhaust temp associated with petrol engines, they are predominantly used in diesels.

Comment

Originally posted by trbig
                        But wouldn't it be a cool story to say ya lost a race because you broke traction at 80mph??? lol. Just be careful. From what little I know about nitrous.... a cheap DIY Nitrous system... very EASILY becomes a DIY BOMB!
                        Who can you find that would re-fill a fire extinguisher with nitrous?? Seems like that would be against the rules... and would be H$#@ if someone accidently tried to use it to fight a fire! lol.

Tod
                        CO2 and Nitrous bottles are one and the same. All that matters is the safe working pressure, typically 950psi with nitrous but could be much more. My nitrous kit was bought new with a co2 bottle for the nitrous.

Comment

Originally posted by pggg
                          From what I've checked out, nitrous need not be as extreme as all the armchair experts claim. Don't believe all the doom and gloom. Seems to get a bad rap because dimwits have their units set up to deliver the maximum boost they can get. Same as running a turbo at 30lbs boost all the time. Blowing motors like they're out of fashion. Simply toning down the flow with moderate sized jets equals safety and reliability. Noticed there's reasonably priced N2O kits on U.S. ebay. I reckon it'd be no problem to tweak one to fit a 4 cylinder bike.

BTW, there's no turbo lag if you have BOTH turbo and N2O.
                          I am running turbo and nitrous on my Hayabusa next year. Not for fast spool the nitrous is mainly for intercooling with a bonus of adding more power.

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay
                            Turbo'd be nice if you can master or eliminate the lag.

The turbo lag is dependent on the pipe lenght. The problem the 650 Seca Turbo had was the location of the turbo. It sat behind the transmission, with a long pipe to the intake side. My Seca had almost 1.5 seconds of lag, and it DID get me into trouble Mounting the turbo in front, with a short as possible intake, would keep the lag way down, IMHO.
                            Ray
                            Since turbos are driven by the heat energy in the exhaust more than the actual passage of gas the longer the pipe is the cooler the exhaust gases will be when they reach the turbine, and the more energy they will have lost through the walls of the pipe. Wrapping the pipe in heat-proofing would decrease lag.

Comment

NO2

got to disagree with the thought on toninng down nitrous is safe. Thats not what causes most eXSplosions,it's the fact that fuel for whatever reason doesn't flow with the nittrous and BOOM. You need a saftey switch (hobbs i think) to shut down the nitrous if the fuel presure falls off. Actualy nos is just as safe as any thing else as long as you think it threw and blow a few to teach us the proper way. You know the other saying too? Injection is nice but i'd rather be BLOWN.... Now we're talking An XS with blower and nitrous5,000 rwhp were does the line start?
                              1982 XJ 1100
                              going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                              now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

little nitrous story

a couple of younger chaps at the local track were playing with nos. They had a front wheel drive whatever olds,buick centry looking lil car. they would run the snot outta that car,turnning like high 15's.so they started taking out the spare tire,seats,etc. got it to run a lil faster. put a cheap plate nos system on it wow now there in the 13's. kept jackin up the nozzles to add more shot. now there in the low low 13 looking for a 12. got the car stripped down to driver seat no carpet etc. then they go for direct port nos. Remember this car is a bone stock 4 cyl. got the dp nos on now holly cow there deep in the 12's knockin on 11's door, now there running slicks on the front and banging down way low 12 all day long. I haven't seen them for a whole now but the last time i did they could'nt find an axle strong enough to hold all the power they had. they did get 11 with a two stage N2O setup putting out 350-400 (guesstimet) HP. So it goes to show ya if you know what your doing wild things can happen
                                1982 XJ 1100
                                going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                                now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Working...
                                X