D.I.Y. nitrous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D.I.Y. nitrous

This site http://www.diy-nitrous.fsnet.co.uk/m...ion-system.htm gives a rundown on a home made NO2 unit for your XS11. Looking at 8 hoses connected to the 4 rubber inlet manifolds. 2 hoses on each. A front one connected to petrol supply, and a rear one connected to NO2 supply. Jet sizes control how much power you want to have. Carb jets or stainless bolts with a hole drilled thru. Slap the unit together with various compressed-air components, including 2 solenoid valves, 1 for petrol, 1 for NO2. Regulator and a fire extinguisher for a bottle. Looks like you CAN do it on the cheap.

Went for a ride today and realised this is all just insanity. Bike goes like a rocket from hell anyway. Full throttle's a real handful 90% of the time as is. Must be suffering from power addiction syndrome... Sadly there's no hope for recovery

But wouldn't it be a cool story to say ya lost a race because you broke traction at 80mph??? lol. Just be careful. From what little I know about nitrous.... a cheap DIY Nitrous system... very EASILY becomes a DIY BOMB!
    Who can you find that would re-fill a fire extinguisher with nitrous?? Seems like that would be against the rules... and would be H$#@ if someone accidently tried to use it to fight a fire! lol.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Hi pggg

Too much power?
      Where would Darth Vader be if he had that thought or even Bush.

Just got a 80LG which needs a lot of work/parts. Either the 80G or this LG will eventually get a turbo, then chain drive, then nitrous. Got to keep a regular ride before a XSive XS. (my hot rods of the past seldom ran more than a month or so at a time before I broke something )

There opening a new track out in the valley (about 1 1/2 hours from here) Hope to have a turboed XS before end of next summer
      and I haven't been on/in a 10/11 second machine for a long long time!

NO SWMBO at home,
      so I think I may be reverting to my childhood

mro

Comment

turbo

was looking at ebay the day ago,saw a suzuki 1000 drag bike with turbo runs for about a grand at that time no reserve. look at the suzuki sales on ebay. A lot of drag bike parts for our lovley machines. The whole bike for the price of a turbo just think....
        1982 XJ 1100
        going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
        now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

yeah i would say a turbo would be a safer idea then nitrous and if you do run nitrous i would be a kit from a well know company and not make your own
          79 yamaha xs1100f standard
          best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Comment

The DIY can work well. You need to know how much HP you want, and set the NiO and fuel up for it. The only BIG think is make sure your fuel delivery will keep up with the NiO, or you run lean and burn up an engine!
            The nice part about a Turbo is the power can come up as you are cranking up, an analog system. The NiO is digital, off or on. one second, 90 hp, the next 150 hp.
            Ray
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

yeah i mean i would love to find a nice turbo to put on my xs1100 big bore kit bike and make maybe 130 rear wheel hp because having to refill the nitrous bottle all the time could start to add up

Comment

Turbo Elevens? Hmmm ... I'm certain I've read when setup right one would be making quite a bit more than 130 to the rear wheel. If I recall correctly it's more along the 160 rwhp.

Speaking of Turbo XS11 here's a shot of one that's been customized..... check out the monster front discs.

Last edited by MAXIMAN; 12-15-2005, 09:30 PM.

Comment

turbo

turbos are not that hard to find and not to much money.
                  cost is making the pipes, waste gate etc.

Buy a wrecker/parts bike with a turbo on it ($200/$300)

Hard part to adapt to the XS.
                  I have a local tube shop who has made some other parts for me in the past (not mc related)
                  When I'm ready will make plans with my CAD program and have them bend me some stainless and I'll weld it up myself.

I've got severl net toys in my shop: plasma cutter/drill press/grinders/mig/bearing presses/ compressor/ not counting all the hand tools etc..

currently out of discretionary funds some am trying to trade for a lathe. Just would be cool to have

dad would teach me how to use it

mro

Comment

MAXIMAN
                    Turbo Elevens? Hmmm ... I'm certain I've read when setup right one would be making quite a bit more than 130 to the rear wheel. If I recall correctly it's more along the 160 rwhp.

been slowly looking at turbo's since that one on ebay that had all the gear set up for an XS.

depends if you want it street or drag. about 8 pounds street (30 to 40 HP, up to maybe 20 pounds for drag (HP ??? ).
                    (don't think an XS would last to long dragging w/o other mods)

mro

Comment

Originally posted by MAXIMAN

Speaking of Turbo XS11 here's a shot of one that's been customized..... check out the monster front discs.

And the upside down forks, actually a whole other front end and monoshock rear too!
                      Shiny side up,
                      650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                      XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

inter cooled

and inner cooled to boot.
                        1982 XJ 1100
                        going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                        now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

nice looking bike i am seriously thinking of turbocharging my bike now if i can find a whole setup i think turbo is a better route then nitrous after thinking about it

Comment

Chain drive too!

Can't see it but of course it's chain.

Turbo'd be nice if you can master or eliminate the lag. Guy I know had a Kawi Turbo and said you have to keep the throttle open against the brakes in corners so it's spooled and ready to romp on the exits to prevent nasty surprises. I'd probably kill myself with something like that, I'm not that good.
                            Shiny side up,
                            650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                            XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Turbo'd be nice if you can master or eliminate the lag.

The turbo lag is dependent on the pipe lenght. The problem the 650 Seca Turbo had was the location of the turbo. It sat behind the transmission, with a long pipe to the intake side. My Seca had almost 1.5 seconds of lag, and it DID get me into trouble Mounting the turbo in front, with a short as possible intake, would keep the lag way down, IMHO.
                              Ray
                              Ray Matteis
                              KE6NHG
                              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                              X