Consensus on correct plug color?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consensus on correct plug color?

I just rebuilt my carbs and the bike is running really well. After searching through here I find info on plug color that has the correct ceramic color to be from white, to the traditional brown. What is the consensus these days? I chopped the throttle at 55 mph in both 4th and 5th gears and get the same results: the ceramic is white on the last 1/8th or so inch of the tip (with some black specks or faint black coloring) and the rest is black. The base ring is sooty too but not built up. At 30 mph in 3rd gear the plugs start to look a little brownish but not much.

I have a drilled airbox, Jardine 4 to 2 exhaust, 145 mains, and the pilot is one richer from stock. The float heights are at 24mm.

How am I doing? Should I raise the floats a little to try and get brown cermamic plugs?

Ed
    79 XS1100SF
    78 YZ400E
    81 SR500
    79 RM250
    77 YZ400D
    05 RM250
    78 CR 250 Husky w/TT500 motor

I don't believe in reading the ceramic for color, with the exception of "detonation specs" . With unleaded gas it stays clean compared to the old days. I use this as a guide- http://cochise.uia.net/pkelley2/sparkplugreading.html
    One thing of note with ceramic coloring. If you use carb cleaners, it can "stain" the ceramic red ,redish tan or grey.-Tom.
    05 Suzuki Bandit 1200S

Comment

Nice guide Tom. I'm rich by the looks of it. I kind of expected it to be that way since I'm up three main jet sizes. For now I'll just leave it like this and see how it goes. Reading all this stuff makes me paranoid about burning up my motor. I don't hear any knocking so I don't think there is any detonation. Would knocking in one of these motors sound like "marbles" the way a car does it?

Thanks,
      Ed
      79 XS1100SF
      78 YZ400E
      81 SR500
      79 RM250
      77 YZ400D
      05 RM250

Comment

ok, that looks pretty good. Now, does anyone know of a good way to clean/prepare plugs for testing without a sandblaster?
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

wirebrush

Comment

Britbike Jim has a sandblaster but always goes out with pockets full of brand new plugs when he does plug runs, claims they're easier to read. Afterwards he cleans 'em up and uses 'em in his bikes whenever he needs to change plugs. I kind of think that's overkill myself but he says plugs are cheap.
            Shiny side up,
            650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
            XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

here's another good site for motorcycle repair:
              http://www.dansmc.com/mc_repaircourse.htm

http://www.dansmc.com/sparkplugs1.htm
              from the article:
              "To get a true plug color reading you must run the engine,on a level road, at the throttle setting that you want to test, for about a mile, then kill the ignition, pull the clutch in and coast to a stop. Then pull the plug and look at it. This could be a real thrill on most of the newer street bikes. As the engine ages and more oil gets past the rings a hotter plug may be in order. If you ride at low speeds all the time a hotter plug will keep the plugs from fouling. If high speeds are your thing, a cooler plug may be just the ticket. Don't be afraid to pull that plug out and give 'er a read! "

more pictures:
              http://www.dansmc.com/spark_plugs/sp...s_catalog.html

but I wouldn't say they're worth a thousand words each...
              Your Mileage May Vary

Comment

Mine look like 22,23,24 but I'm not sure how it could be lean with 145 mains and a correct float height.

Ed
                79 XS1100SF
                78 YZ400E
                81 SR500
                79 RM250
                77 YZ400D
                05 RM250

Comment

if you have a compressor, J C Whitney has a plug cleaner for about $20.

Steve
                  80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
                  73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
                  62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
                  Norton Electra - future restore
                  CZ 400 MX'er
                  68 Ducati Scrambler
                  RC Planes and Helis

Comment

I have heard over and over that w/ today's unleaded fuel, it is hard to get good color on the plugs. What about running a lead additive for test?
                    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
                    X