XJ tank on a Special (repost)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ tank on a Special (repost)

TC was asking about putting an XJ tank on an XS11. Here's a repost from the Yahoogroups XS11 list:

On 7/13/01 Steve McNealy (rides900rr) wrote:

I have transplanted a tank from an '82 XJ11 to my '81 Midnight Special; didn't take too many modifications to do it. The problem is that the gas cap from my '81 mounts and locks differently, and the new tank does not have one.
    • The XJ tank is a little longer than the XS, but at the back of the XJ tank, there is a flange that mounts to the frame. I cut this down from @ 2" to .5" with a Dremmel Tool.
    • The frame mount post needs to be cut off (point of no return) as well.
    • The rear of the tank is secured to the 10mm bolts that hold the lateral edges of the airbox with flexible muffler hangers.
    • The three trees hit the tank on both sides at full turn of the bars. I fixed this with a ball peen hammer, a thick cloth, and a second hammer to gently tap a little (0.25" deep) in the spots the three tree would have hit it. Didn't even scratch the paint.
    The high arch on the bottom of the tank really sets off the gold carb tops, and any carb adjustments needed can be done without even raising the rear of the tank. Seems to be quite solid. will snap some pics and post when my SO returns my digital camera.

BTW, Zanotti's has a cap for $32.00 +shipping. Ordered one today.

Steve McNealy's LH with an XJ tank
    (Large scale picture can be seen on the Yahoogroups XS11 list under "/files/BikePictures/Midnight")

Bill K.
    1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
    1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Hey there Bill,
    Thanks for the repost. I was also wondering if the Petcocks from the XS tank will fit/work on the XJ tank?? This tank didn't have any, and I can borrow from the XS "IF" it will work, but didn't want to take mine apart to try it. If no one knows for sure, then I'll have to experiment...part of that winter project, I guess.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TC wrote:
      I was also wondering if the Petcocks from the XS tank will fit/work on the XJ tank?? This tank didn't have any, and I can borrow from the XS "IF" it will work, but didn't want to take mine apart to try it.
      It should just be a matter of measuring the following dimensions.
      • Mounting bolt spacing
      • Internal tube/screen height
      • External control dimensions
      I have a Special tank with petcocks on a non-runner. I'll gladly measure them if someone with an XJ can provide similar information.

Bill K.
      1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
      1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

Originally posted by Bill
        TC wrote:It should just be a matter of measuring the following dimensions.
        • Mounting bolt spacing
        • Internal tube/screen height
        • External control dimensions
        I have a Special tank with petcocks on a non-runner. I'll gladly measure them if someone with an XJ can provide similar information.
        Okay, I measured the mounting openings:

From inside edge to inside edge of 2 screw holes:=28mm
        From outside edge to outside edge of 2 screw holes:=39mm
        Length of tube opening: 20.5mm
        Width of tube opening:10mm
        Apparent room for screen height: 85mm or so.

Thanks for checking this out Bill.
        T. C. Gresham

Comment

Has anyone tried comparing the part numbers? I think they're the same part. (At least based on what I think I saw from Mike's image)

Comment

JP wrote:
            Has anyone tried comparing the part numbers? I think they're the same part. (At least based on what I think I saw from Mike's image)
            Great idea, JP! Let us know what you find out.

Bill K.
            1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
            1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

In the XJ11 microfiche, the petcock part nr is a 3H3 nr (79SF)
              Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

say what??

hey bill, whats this all about????

Bill K.
                1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100 H, "Stark"
                1985 Suzuki GS550E
                1981 Suzuki GS850L
                1980 Suzuki GS750L

didja sell yer XS???
                - dan
                - thinker57@lycos.com
                - SF/H/E/HD "Stray Bullet"

Comment

Re: say what??

Stray Bullet wrote:
                  hey bill, whats this all about????

Bill K.
                  1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100 H, "Stark"
                  1985 Suzuki GS550E
                  1981 Suzuki GS850L
                  1980 Suzuki GS750L

didja sell yer XS???
                  No, but I've promised it to Tina's son, Jon, after we go to the Owl's Head Museum Antique Motorcycle Show. (There's special parking for bikes older than 1980 and my XS is a '79).

Jon's a big kid (6'2''/260 Lbs) and needs a big bike. Except for long distance my '81 GS850L has always been my favorite bike. Lighter and better handling than any XS I've ridden.

I had given the 850 to Tina, but she fell in love with our latest purchase, an '80 GS750L. So, Jon will have the XS (wants it naked), I'll ride the GS850L, and Tina will ride the GS750L. The Suzukis even match!

If I have an XSive withdrawal, I still have a '79 Standard and an '81 Special in the garage that could be resurrected without too much trouble. However, I don't know if I'll
                  • FIX them,
                  • SELL sell them as is, or
                  • PART them out
                  Somehow I just have to "thin the herd"! Also, FWIW, I've felt a little less XSive since I stopped being a web assistant/moderator.

Last edited by Bill; 08-25-2002, 12:48 PM.
                  Bill K.
                  1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
                  1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

Well Bill if you should ever decide to sell the 81SH, let me know I'm always in the mood for a road trip, and love that year.
                    I have the petcocks off my XJ's in the shed and will match them to my Special tonight if you folks haven't already figured this dilema out.
                    Ken Krieger
                    Chesterfield, Va.
                    81 XS1100SH - Radar Rider
                    82 XJ1100J - Black and Blue
                    82 XJ1100J - Bucket o Bolts
                    79 XS1100SF - Road Raider
                    1980 XS1100 - Frankenbike
                    85 XJ700 Maxim
                    06 VMax - Black Max
                    85 650 Nighthawk

Comment

Originally posted by kenkrieger
                      I have the petcocks off my XJ's in the shed and will match them to my Special tonight if you folks haven't already figured this dilema out.
                      Hey there Ken,
                      I don't think we've actually confirmed or denied the possibility of being able to use the XS petcocks on the XJ tank, so I would appreciate it if you are able to determine if they are cross applicable!! Thanks!
                      T. C. Gresham

Comment

But the part nr for the XJ is a SF part nr... I'd guess the entire petcock/octopus deal is the same for all specials and the XJ.

I recall no visual sense of any difference (wasn't looking for a difference, but..) between my XJ petcocks and the SF petcocks I've had out.

You have the parts, you'll find out, you'll let us know.

But...it's no biggie to take the sf ones out and try it, why have someone else do the same job you want to do and have the parts to do? I don't get it. Why have Ken go to the trouble of doing what is too much trouble for you to do? I must be missing something here...
                        Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

I just checked the mounting screw spacing on two models I have on hand:

1981 Standard ~35.5 mm
                          1980 Midnight Special ~46 mm

So now we know that the pectocks from an H are not interchangeable with the petcocks from an LG...
                          Last edited by Ken Talbot; 08-26-2002, 08:31 PM.
                          Ken Talbot

Comment

Re: Re: say what??

oh yeah, i remember how big jon is, bill.... lol... and the GS850 seems like a good fit for you, too. i guess maybe jon can drag you and tina to the next XS rally???? ;O)
                            - dan
                            - thinker57@lycos.com
                            - SF/H/E/HD "Stray Bullet"

Comment

Working...
                            X