Any solutions for removing rust & pits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any solutions for removing rust & pits

Does anyone have a solution for removing rust and the remaining pits from chrome? I tried using steel wool on my front forks which seems to remove the rust however the surface remains rough by the leftover pits.
    80 XS11 SG
    79 XS750 SF
    74 KZ400
    78 KZ650
    78 KZ750

Sorry, but the only way to remove the pits is to replace the part, or have it rechromed.

Steve
    80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
    73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
    62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
    Norton Electra - future restore
    CZ 400 MX'er
    68 Ducati Scrambler
    RC Planes and Helis

Comment

Hey CUBuffs,

It has been recommended NOT to use Steel Wool on chrome or any other parts, as fine steel particles get lodged into the metal you are trying to clean and can facilitate further rusting in the near future!!

But alas, pits are the pits, you can minimize them by using a good quality chrome polish which can break down and remove the oxidized rust material, but the pits will remain. IF the pits are very bad, then you can take a good grinding material/power tool, ruff up the surface thoroughly, and PAINT over it!? For fenders, it adds a nice additional touch of color to the bike!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks T.C.

Can you recommend a chrome polish?
        80 XS11 SG
        79 XS750 SF
        74 KZ400
        78 KZ650
        78 KZ750

Comment

Several good suggestions in this thread,

Just ignore the one from BuickYouth about the steel wool
          Removing Rust from chrome
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

On my 80G I used rubbing compound to remove the bulk of the rust, then chrome polish. Works about 10 times faster, but hopefully you don't have too thin chrome, cause it does remove some.

mro

Comment

Steel Wool on Chrome

I know that Steel wool if used to polish aluminum will cause a problem - since aluminum is a softer metal, but are you guys sure it will have the same effect on chrome? Any first hand knowledge?

Comment

If you must use steel wool, use 000 or better, more like 0000 or even finer. Lubricate it by soaking it liberally in kerosene, mineral spirits, WD 40 or MMO. Don't rub too hard, the rust is soft but the chrome is hard. If you rub too hard you'll dull the chrome or even have it peel from aroung the rust spots. Finish with Never Dull and wipe clean. Add a good coat of wax (I use boat wax) to slow further rusting. I've been able to remove rust pits and melted shoe sole from my pipes and clean up fenders this way, secret is not rubbing too hard. As has been previously mentioned the pits are there forever but they can't usually be seen from more than 10 feet away once the stains are off the chrome. Rub & Buff is worth trying on whats left in the pits, at least it'll lighten up the color. It's available at craft stores. If SWMBO is into crafts she probably knows about the stuff.
                Shiny side up,
                650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                X