Rear Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Drive

Has anybody ever had to repair the drain threads in the rear unit. Went to remove the drain plug for the first time and the threads came out with the plug and the fluid. Are there helicoils available and do you know the part number?
    wingnut
    81 SH (Daily Ride)
    81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
    81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
    82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
    81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

?

not sure about XSact part # but heli coils can be had in almoct any size imaginable. from . to .................................................. ............................. if ya get my drift
    1982 XJ 1100
    going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
    now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Chevy sorry for the bad grammer. What I was try to say was does any one know what the thread size of the plug is so I could start looking for the right helicoil, drill and tap. The major dia. of the plug messures .540 or about 14mm. So i'm looking for a 14mmx5 helicoil setup. Right or wrong?
      wingnut
      81 SH (Daily Ride)
      81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Hey Wingnut,

I think what you are needing is the size that you already stated, 14mm, but you need the thread pitch, which is 1.5mm, and then the desired length. Auto stores carry this size plug as part of their drain plug collection, see this thread for pictures:
        middle/final drive replacement filller plug thread

It talks about the filler plug, but the drain plug IF 14mm, should also be the same style/pitch!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

thread size

Thanks again TC, I haven't worked with metric sizes all that much so I didn't know what the pitch was. 1.5 it is so off I go to the heilicoil suppliers.
          wingnut
          81 SH (Daily Ride)
          81 XS 400

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
          X