79 XS1100 special - tire replacement - are these tube or tubeless type wheels?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • OldGreyBeast
    Truly XSive
    • Mar 2024
    • 100
    • Florence, AL, USA

    #1

    79 XS1100 special - tire replacement - are these tube or tubeless type wheels?

    Hi all,

    I'm finally replacing the 80s tires on my XS1100 with some new ones. The front tire that was on it had a tube in there. These wheels don't /look/ like tube type wheels but googling it I get mixed results. Are these meant to have a tube?
  • jetmechmarty
    Master of XSology
    • Nov 2003
    • 8077
    • Coldwater, Mississippi

    #2
    I tried to get a picture for you, but I cannot get one you can see. Inside one of the spokes you’ll find “SUITABLE FOR TUBELESS TIRES” cast or stamped into the metal in large print. Yamaha XS bikes started getting the tubeless wheels in 1979 as I recall. Not marked? They came with tubes. Somewhere in this forum the subject has been discussed in depth and detail.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

    Comment

    • Radioguylogs
      XS-XJ Guru
      • Nov 2012
      • 2160
      • Presque Isle, MI

      #3
      The original tires on a '79 Special were tubeless.

      If the rims are original, you can see the word "tubeless" cast into the wheel.
      -Mike
      _________
      '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
      '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
      '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
      '79 XS750SF 17k miles
      '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
      '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
      '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

      Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

      Comment

      • OldGreyBeast
        Truly XSive
        • Mar 2024
        • 100
        • Florence, AL, USA

        #4
        Ok it does say tubeless on the wheel. The valve stem hole seems to be much thicker/deeper than the modern ones. Is there a special valve stem for these?

        Comment

        • cajun31
          Moderator
          • Oct 2003
          • 2007
          • Brandon, MS

          #5
          Valve Stem - Tubeless - Mag Wheels - Yamaha | Yamaha Motorcycle Parts | Mikes XS
          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
          Jim

          Comment

          • cajun31
            Moderator
            • Oct 2003
            • 2007
            • Brandon, MS

            #6
            Have you had any luck with fabricating those rubber parts we asked about a while back?
            2 - 80 LGs bought one new
            81 LH
            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
            22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
            Jim

            Comment

            • LAB3
              XSive Maximus
              • May 2022
              • 837
              • Traveling the U.S. with no permanent address

              #7
              Hah, now it makes sense! Down in the specs it clearly says Is universal fit: No It's no wonder I couldn't find one that worked!
              1980 XS1100G

              Intelligent people discuss ideas, average people discuss events, petty people discuss other people.

              Comment

              • OldGreyBeast
                Truly XSive
                • Mar 2024
                • 100
                • Florence, AL, USA

                #8
                Thanks! Ordered a set of those.

                Shoot I totally forgot about that rubber part. Things have been kinda crazy, I actually opened my own vintage-focused bike shop in early 2025 and it's taken off a lot faster than I thought it would. My own bikes/projects have been getting neglected a bit.

                Comment

                • cajun31
                  Moderator
                  • Oct 2003
                  • 2007
                  • Brandon, MS

                  #9
                  Why I was reminding you. Glad to hear that you are having success with your new business. Those rubber parts we asked about would be a big seller if you could fabricate them.
                  2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                  81 LH
                  02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                  22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                  Jim

                  Comment

                  • OldGreyBeast
                    Truly XSive
                    • Mar 2024
                    • 100
                    • Florence, AL, USA

                    #10
                    I'll definitely work on getting that piece ready to produce.

                    My valve stems came in today, I'm guessing the rubber piece on the valve stem goes inside the wheel?

                    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	66
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	890460

                    Comment

                    • OldGreyBeast
                      Truly XSive
                      • Mar 2024
                      • 100
                      • Florence, AL, USA

                      #11
                      [removed - duplicate]
                      Attached Files

                      Comment

                      • cajun31
                        Moderator
                        • Oct 2003
                        • 2007
                        • Brandon, MS

                        #12
                        Yes the rubber goes on the inside of the wheel to seal against it. You might want to visit the hardware store and pick up two more stainless nuts. You can then bolt the two nuts together so that you don't have to worry about it vibrating off. That or maybe a dab of blue loctite.
                        2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                        81 LH
                        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                        22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                        Jim

                        Comment

                        • OldGreyBeast
                          Truly XSive
                          • Mar 2024
                          • 100
                          • Florence, AL, USA

                          #13
                          Awesome. I was actually going to do both an extra nut and a bit of blue loctite

                          Comment

                          • cajun31
                            Moderator
                            • Oct 2003
                            • 2007
                            • Brandon, MS

                            #14
                            I have a good part that I could send you if you think that would help in production of replacements. PM me with your particulars if you are interested.
                            2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                            81 LH
                            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                            22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                            Jim

                            Comment

                            • OldGreyBeast
                              Truly XSive
                              • Mar 2024
                              • 100
                              • Florence, AL, USA

                              #15
                              PM sent

                              Comment

                              Working...