Crud-CRUD-CRUD!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crud-CRUD-CRUD!!!

I picked up a motorcycle jack today and wanted to test it out so I put my Midnight Special up on it. Jacked up the bike then went to tie the bike down and bam over she went....... Crap!! ......... Dented the snot out of my gas tank and punched a hole through the "Generator Cover".

I was so pissed of at myself that I had no problem picking up the bike after lowering the jack.

Sorry for the vent, I love my Black!!
    Don
    99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

I feel your pain. I decided earlier in the year to forgo emptying the oil to fix my fifth gear issue. I leaned it over against my garage door post to put the oil on the right side and lost control of it. cracked the emblem and dented the tank. I should have just changed the damn oil (already have the bike jack).

Well, body work is on the winter work list along with brakes (hoses and pads, front and year), fork oil change, TC gasket change (SWMBO is hot about the oil stains on the Dockers) and the new dash board)
    Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
    78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
    02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

Been there... done similar

Bloody Hell!
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Years ago I went through some gas tank follies that eventually led to the demise of the 81 Venture engine.

1. Tried to bondo a dent that was really too deep to bondo. As I was admiring the tank after spraying the first coat of primer, the bugger (tank) seemed to "float" right off of my arm. It was like muffing the pass in the end zone with no time left on the clock. I slapped at it twice before it bounced off of the floor.

2. Refinished the tank and sprayed it with rattle can black. It looked great! While getting Christmas ornament boxes down from the rafters of the garage, I fell off of the stupid ladder RIGHT ONTO THE TANK! The bondo popped out.

3. While trying to use compressed air to pop out the dent (too deep for bondo), the whole tank went "BOP!" It was then so deformed (changed from a 6.2 gallon tank to something like a 7 gallon tank), that I had to use a strap to narrow the distance between the mounting points and had to use a hammer to bring the rear mounting point back where it belongs. The dent however was unchanged.

4. Great idea! Why not use a dent puller and then seal the screw holes from the inside with Caswell's epoxy tank liner?!?! That is what I did and the surface for bondoing was then very thin as it should be. I spent a lot of time with quality urethane paint making it look just right.

5. I was happily riding my bike with the shiny urethane painted tank and I noticed an air bubble rising from the bondo area. What the... Then the bike started running poorly, but I ran it a few more days until it would run no more. By then, there were as many bubbles as there were dent puller holes, To make a long story short, the bondo and epoxy tank liner did not get along. The goop went into solution and deposited onto the stems of the intake valves which were a total mess. The gas tank repair job destroyed the engine by sticking the valves...
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

If the dent's not too deep, try this...

http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2005/...ntPulling.html
          CUAgain,
          Daniel Meyer
          Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
          Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Yes, Danny, that is definately the way to get dents out! And, no resulting engine damage... =8-)

Originally posted by Dragonrider

Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Geez, Skids, that one would qualify for a listing on an urban legends page!!!
              Ken Talbot

Comment

Really, its true! All of it. And I'll tell you another really weird thing about it... When the valves were really mucked-up, I had a friend hold the hose of a shop vac onto the tail pipe (4 into 1) and the engine would start with the button. It was the only way it would start at that point. The neighbors thought that I had lost my mind...and maybe I did!...I know I did!!

Originally posted by Ken Talbot
                Geez, Skids, that one would qualify for a listing on an urban legends page!!!
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

I havn't hurt this bike yet........ but I did bend up the garage door rail with the motor guard, I was trying to get two cars and the bike into the garage the day before Rita was supposed to hit, I lost balance and the only thing that stopped it was the rail.......
                  anyone ever rear-end a pickup on a freeway on-ramp? The guy in the old pickup truck didn't go and I did, I was looking over my shoulder and not at him. He got out of the truck, looked at me, shook his head and got back in and took off.
                  Those motorcycle jacks are scary when you have 2 into 1 pipes, I have to shim so many places that I am surprised that I havn't lost it yet too.
                  82 XJ1100J "Jackel"
                  78 Honda CB750-74 Honda CB750
                  74 Husky 400
                  70 Yamaha 360 & 70 175 enduros

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonrider

I'll try it but Mama is letting me get it fixed and repainted.... I hate to lose that patina though...
                    Don
                    99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

Comment

You know what sucks? My latest victim. 1999 CBR900. 3rd time, leaving side stands down and pushing them up on the lift. Goes down every time.
                      "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

I've read all the posts about how to put an XS1100 on the sidestand. What scares me is trying to take one offa the sidestand.
                        First week on the job, movin' the bikes in for the night. Dark, raining, and a sloping parking lot. T'was a used XS1100 for sale.(the boss had just showed me that morning how easy it was to sidestand these beasts) Rocked it forward, lost my footing, dropped it into a new Moto Guzzi, which in turn dominoed another new Moto Guzzi. Learned about pullin' dents outta fuel tanks till the wee hours of the morning.

Comment

The only way I move any of our fleet of XS11s around the carport is by climbing on and straddling them. I won't even try to tilt them up to vertical unless I have the centrestand touching the ground and my foot its lifting peg. They're just too #@$% heavy to be moving around by the handlebars.
                          Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by prometheus578
                            I've read all the posts about how to put an XS1100 on the sidestand. What scares me is trying to take one offa the sidestand.

Hey Prom,

Musta been the lack of sleep and affect of Triptophan(sp?) from Turkey day.....I'm sure you meant "CENTERSTAND" above!!!

Like Ken says, I straddle mine and rock it off the CS that way. However, I disagree with Ken in moving it around the garage, I have no problem keeping it slightly leaned towards me and moving it about with just the handlebars, and I'm no HULK! But, yes, it is easier to control then sitting on the seat, and pushing them around like an oversized kids push toy!!
                            T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks, TC
                              I'm sure you meant "CENTERSTAND" above!!!
                              You are correct.. too much turkey, wine, etc. Too bloated to think straight... Still have gas leaking past my exhaust valve. (post Thanksgiving humor)

Comment

Working...
                              X