Head light issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head light issues

Since I've had my xs the head light won't adjust down enough to really even hit the road. So, I took it apart last night and it was obviously put together wrong by a PO. When I tried to put it back together I saw why. For some reason, the hole between parts 3 and 5 won't line up? Am I missing something?

Sorry for the giant image, it was just too easy to copy the link from Bike Bandit.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Is your part #4 the original or did the PO substitute an off-the-shelf sealed beam lamp?

Comment

because it is the replacable bulb type I assume it is stock...
      '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

That's good, sounds like the stock lamp.

Now for the next scenario:

The jumble of connectors inside the headlight bucket can interfere with the fit of the lamp assembly. Try not to bunch them up directly behind the lamp, rather fan the wiring bundles out radially. Then try to fit the lamp.

Comment

You may also want to check the part #5. Did he put it in upside down? The headlights all have the locating tabs, but the frame must be installed correctly.
          Just my guess.
          Ray
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

it fits in the bucket fine it is just that the screw holes don't line up even close between 3 and 5. They hold the actual light. The slots on five are lined up with the ones on the back of the light.
            '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Hey Jess,

Are you saying that the actual position around the curve of the Part #3 don't line up with the holes positioned on Part #5, or that the holes on part #3 don't get close enough to part #5 for the little screws to reach??

The PO may have put in an aftermarket bulb reflector housing?? I put in an aftermarket one, and the rim of the holder was a bit different, and thicker, and took a bit of tweeking to get the holding ring to fit and get close enough to fasten the retaining screws!?
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

the holes would reach if they were lined up. So, your first guess.
                '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Sounds to me like part # 3 is from a different model bike. Try getting a another ring. Could be all wrong, but PO's have done stranger things.
                  There's always a way, figure it out.
                  78XS11E

Comment

#3 may be in the wrong position. Thry removing it from the headlamp and installing it by itself. Rotate it to different positions.
                    Pat Kelly
                    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Working...
                    X